Search Results for: crtc

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers outage: It’s finally over

TORONTO – Rogers’ network is now fully operational following the nationwide outage last Friday, according to a letter posted on the company’s website from its president and CEO Tony Staffieri. “Our network outage last Friday was unacceptable,” the letter says. “Simply put, we failed on our promise to be Canada’s most reliable network.” After confirming Rogers’ network is back up, Staffieri said company’s customer service representatives have also caught up on a backlog of issues. He further made a personal commitment that the company “will make every change and investment needed to help ensure that it will not happen again,”… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers outage: Customer compensation increased to equivalent of 5 days of service

TORONTO – Rogers Communications will compensate customers impacted by its nationwide outage with the equivalent of five days service, which has increased from a previously announced two days of service. “We have been listening to our customers and Canadians from across the country who have told us how significant the impacts of the outage were for them,” a Rogers spokesperson said in a statement emailed to Cartt.ca. “We know that we need to earn back their trust, and as a first step, we will be crediting our customers with the equivalent of five days service. We will continue to work around the clock… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers outage: CRTC wants detailed report on what happened

CNOC supports PIAC’s call for inquiry on the responsibilities of telecom service providers OTTAWA – The CRTC is giving Rogers Communications 10 days to provide detailed information about the network outage that began last Friday. “The CRTC is requesting a detailed account from Rogers as to “why” and “how” this happened, as well as what measures Rogers is putting in place to prevent future outages,” said CRTC CEO and chair Ian Scott today in a statement. “We take the safety, security, and wellness of Canadians very seriously and we are responsible for ensuring that Canadians have access at all times… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Industry minister demands telecoms enter formal agreement to improve network resiliency (updated)

OTTAWA – After meeting with representatives from several Canadian telecommunications service providers, Innovation, Science and Industry minister François-Philippe Champagne announced he has directed them to take immediate steps to address network resiliency in Canada. The meeting, attended by representatives from Rogers, Telus, Bell, Videotron, Shaw, SaskTel and Eastlink, comes as Rogers continues to work to restore its networks, which are close but not quite fully operational, following a nationwide outage that began early Friday morning. “I’ve demanded that they take immediate initial steps to improve the resiliency of our networks,” Champagne told reporters during a conference call this afternoon… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

ISED, CRTC commissioning performance data on 50/10 fixed-wireless access

By Ahmad Hathout OTTAWA – Innovation Canada and the CRTC have released an advance notice today stating they intend to award a $1.5-million contract to a broadband measurement company to collect performance data on fixed-wireless speed claims of up to 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload – the federal objective. In the notice, ISED said it is seeking only data from wireless service providers claiming to provide Internet service of “up to” 50/10 to households over wireless signals for verification purposes. The contractor will test performance by metric, time, location, service plan, distance to service towers and technology, according to… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers outage: Service coming back, CEO apologizes

Still no word on when full service will be restored TORONTO – As the day comes to an end, Rogers has said it is making progress on bringing its networks back online after an outage that started in the early hours of the morning. In a letter posted on Rogers’ website, the company’s president and CEO Tony Staffieri apologized to Canadians. “We know going a full day without connectivity has real impacts on our customers, and all Canadians,” the letter reads. “On behalf of all of us here at Rogers, Rogers for Business, Fido, chatr and cityfone, I want to… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers outage: Consumer advocacy group calls for CRTC inquiry

OTTAWA – The Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC) today requested the CRTC immediately open an inquiry into the Rogers network outage impacting Canadians across the country starting around 4:30 a.m. ET this morning. In a letter submitted to the CRTC, signed by PIAC’s executive director and general counsel John Lawford, and obtained by Cartt.ca, PIAC further requested the CRTC launch a public notice to examine whether Canadian telecommunications providers “should be required to provide a baseline of emergency planning, refund requirements, notice and transparency and other consumer protections, interconnection, wholesale and other requirements as conditions of service to operate… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Rogers networks down nationwide (with updates)

TORONTO – It has been a rough Friday morning for Rogers customers. The telecom has been experiencing network issues across the country since early this morning, according to an online service map and London, England-based global Internet monitor NetBlocks. A tweet from TekSavvy Assistance also indicates there is an incumbent outage impacting third-party providers with no timeline for things to be up and running again. “Please note that there is currently a large spread incumbent outage that is impacting all internet and wireless (including cellphone) users, as well as third-party customers like TekSavvy,” the tweet says. “This also impacts… Continue Reading

Radio / Television News

More join in on condemnation of CRTC decision on use of the “N-word”

Mostly francophones from Québec By Denis Carmel OTTAWA – After a group of 60 people, including Radio-Canada personalities, sent an open letter to the CBC/Radio-Canada asking it to refuse to comply to the sanctions imposed by the CRTC on the use of the “N-word” on-air, more people and groups came out against the decision. Some are asking the public broadcaster to pushback, some are demanding the Minister of Canadian Heritage or the Prime Minister to take a stand. The Fédération professionnelle des journalistes du Québec, representing journalists in Québec, said through its president “All dialogue is healthy for a society, the… Continue Reading

Cable / Telecom News

Bell asks CRTC to revisit decision on seamless hand-off, 5G roaming

OTTAWA – Bell Mobility is asking the CRTC to review and vary its recent decision directing Bell, Rogers and Telus to make changes to the proposed terms and conditions outlined in their GSM-based wholesale mobile wireless roaming tariffs that incorporate seamless hand-off and 5G roaming. Telecom Decision CRTC 2022-102 was issued April 6, 2022, in connection with the tariffs filed by Bell, Rogers and Telus in relation to a previous CRTC decision (TRP 2021-130) on implementing a regulated mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) system, which included determinations regarding seamless roaming. Bell is arguing CRTC 2022-102 reaches beyond the scope of the… Continue Reading