Parliament’s intent was to give CRTC broad powers, court says
By Ahmad Hathout
THE FEDERAL COURT OF APPEAL denied an application by Groupe TVA on Wednesday, which challenged the CRTC’s authority to regulate economic disputes between parties after the regulator forced TVA to continue supplying Bell with its sports channel signal in 2019 despite a disagreement on the financial terms of the arrangement.
In April 2019, on the first night of the NHL playoffs, TVA owner Quebecor cut the signal of its TVA Sports channel to Bell viewers because it felt the terms of distribution were unfair. Since the original agreement in…
Continue Reading
Will overbuild Cogeco
TORONTO – Rogers announced today it is investing over $140 million to connect over 20,000 homes and businesses to high-speed Internet.
The investment will bring the company’s fibre-powered network Quinte West, Belleville and Prince Edward Country.
“Once completed, residents and business owners will have access to the full suite of services including Rogers Ignite Internet with download speeds of up to 1.5 gigabit per second and Rogers’ leading IPTV service, Ignite TV,” says a press release.
A Rogers spokesperson confirmed via email the entire project is being funded entirely by the company.
August 4th UPDATE : What’s rather interesting with this…
Continue Reading
OTTAWA – Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada announced today the provisional results of the 3500 MHz auction, which earned a total of $8.91 billion.
The auction began in June and concluded July 23. Winning bidders have until August 13 to submit 20% of their final payment and until October 4 to submit the remaining 80%. The money will be paid into the Consolidated Revenue Fund administered by the Receiver General of Canada, according to an ISED press release.
In total, 15 Canadian companies were awarded 1,495 licences, 757 of which went to small and regional players.
“Results of the…
Continue Reading
TORONTO — The Ontario government announced today it is providing up to $14.7 million in funding for 13 new projects under its Improving Connectivity for Ontario (ICON) program, which was launched last year.
Collectively, these projects will help deliver high-speed Internet connectivity to more than 17,000 homes and businesses in 42 communities across the province, says a press release.
“Ontario’s ICON investment will help expand high-speed internet to more areas, from Belleville to Bancroft, Muskoka Lakes to Puslinch, and Sioux Narrows–Nestor Falls to Moose Cree First Nation. Ontario is partnering financially on these projects with various organizations who applied for…
Continue Reading
MONTREAL — Cogeco Connexion, the Canadian cable subsidiary of Cogeco Communications, announced today it has appointed Nancy Audette as vice-president and general manager for the Quebec region, effective today.
Most recently, Audette (above) was vice-president and general manager of Fido Mobile, a position she held since 2016.
With more than 25 years of experience in Quebec and internationally, Audette has served in several senior management and executive roles in sales, marketing and operations in companies such as Transcontinental (TC) Media, Rogers Communications and Microcell. Her international telecom experience includes working with Telesystem International Wireless (TIW), in Brazil, Czech Republic and Morocco.
“I am…
Continue Reading
By Denis Carmel
IN A DECISION RENDERED last Thursday, the Federal Court of Appeal (FCA) dismissed an application for judicial review that had been brought by six broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) and partially granted an application made by a group of nine collective societies.
The appeals stem from a decision from the Copyright Board of Canada (the Board), issued in August 2019 relating to royalties for the period 2014–2018.
In Canada, cable providers (BDUs) can distribute local over-the-air television signals for free and without permission from the signal owner. But, in the case of distant signals, the BDUs can distribute without permission…
Continue Reading
ONTARIO – While Ontario Connects has generally been welcomed by the industry, organizations that represent small, independent internet service providers have some concerns about how the province’s $4 billion plan to bring high-speed Internet access to the entire province by 2025 will unfold.
“We of course welcome the Ontario government’s substantial investment in extending broadband to everyone across the province,” said Jay Thomson, CEO of the Canadian Communication Systems Alliance (CCSA), in an email to Cartt.ca.
“We question, however, whether a reverse auction approach will generate the best return on the government’s investment. Cheapest is not always best, especially when…
Continue Reading
BURLINGTON, Ont. — Cogeco Connexion, the cable subsidiary of Cogeco Communications, said today it is continuing to invest in broadband in Ontario, having already announced $13.5 million in network expansion investments since the beginning of 2021.
These investments will bring broadband network services to more than 8,100 Ontario homes and businesses in underserved areas of the province, says the company’s press release.
“Additional projects will soon be announced as part of Cogeco’s ongoing four-year commitment to invest over $1 billion in the operation and expansion of its advanced Canadian broadband network to reduce the digital divide,” reads the release.
Referring to the Ontario government’s…
Continue Reading
HAMILTON – Cogeco announced today it is teaming up with Hamilton Bike Share for a three-year sponsorship deal.
“Their sponsorship helps ensure the bike share system thrives so residents and visitors to our city can continue enjoying a sustainable, healthy, and fun way to get around Hamilton,” said Chelsea Cox, executive director of Hamilton Bike Share, in a press release.
Hamilton Bike Share has 39,000 users who have access to 800 smart bikes 24/7, all year long. Its Everyone Rides Initiative helps to remove the cost barrier that may prevent access to the service.
The partnership is consistent with Cogeco’s emissions reduction…
Continue Reading
MONTREAL – Cogeco Inc. announced yesterday a revenue increase of 3.7% to $649.3 million, for its third quarter, which ended on May 31st 2021, compared to the same period last year.
This was partially attributed to an increase in its Canadian broadband services revenue by 10.2% due to its December 2020 acquisition of DeryTelecom, as well as “the cumulative effect of sustained demand for residential high-speed Internet since the beginning of the pandemic and rate increases implemented for certain services,” according to a press release.
Cogeco also reported its adjusted EBITDA increased by 1.3% in Q3, reaching $302.3 million, according…
Continue Reading