By Ahmad Hathout
OTTAWA – British Columbia’s minister of transportation and infrastructure (MOTI) has filed an application to the CRTC asking it to suspend a November decision that forces it to enter agreements with third party carriers wanting to attach equipment on poles that are being moved by the province.
The November decision was triggered by a Rogers and Shaw application, which asked that they be treated similarly to the incumbent Telus when it comes to compensation to relocate their transmission lines when the province decides to move their poles. In the decision, the CRTC said the province…
Continue Reading
Editor’s note: This story has been updated on March 2 with a comment from Quebecor.
By Ahmad Hathout
TORONTO – Bell is temporarily pausing its next generation 9-1-1 network until further notice, according to a Friday email from a Bell technician seen by Cartt.
“Bell Canada is advising all Originating Network Providers of a temporary embargo for NG9-1-1 Onboarding and Go-Live activities,” said Richard Little, a technical network specialist for Bell’s emergency services division said in the email to representatives of the providers. “The embargo will continue until further notice.
“ONPs will be notified once our planned resumption of activities is known,” Little…
Continue Reading
By Ahmad Hathout
OTTAWA – Rogers has told the CRTC that there is no undue preference given to Videotron in its proposed wholesale access agreement.
The Toronto-based company was responding last week to a Part 1 application by independent internet service provider TekSavvy, which is accusing Rogers and Bell of providing to certain competitors preferable network access rates compared to others, who must follow the costs regulated by the CRTC – called off-tariff agreements (OTA).
But in response, Rogers challenged TekSavvy’s knowledge of its deal with Videotron, which has so far been hidden from public view.
“The rates in the…
Continue Reading
By Christopher Guly
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expressed his displeasure Friday with actions by Google to take its opposition to bill C-18, the Online News Act, to users of its search engine.
This week, The Canadian Press broke the story that Google would limit access to news content – including from Canadian broadcasters and newspapers – for under four percent of its Canadian users over about a five-week period.
“It really surprises me that Google has decided that would rather prevent Canadians from accessing news than actually paying journalists for the work they do,” Trudeau said…
Continue Reading
By Ahmad Hathout
OTTAWA – The CRTC has put out a contract notice Thursday for a consultancy firm that will assist in analyzing the network outage at Rogers last summer and improvements the company has committed to going forward.
The July 8 network blackout brought down critical services for millions of Canadians, including government, banking and emergency services in some cases.
This week, the regulator announced the launch of the first of a number of proceedings on telecom network resiliency, the first of which will include mandatory notification requirements on all service providers when outages like these happen. As…
Continue Reading
OTTAWA – The CRTC is directing wireless service providers to engage in “regular consultations” with disabled Canadians and to file annual reports about the outcome of those discussions.
The reports must be filed to the regulator starting June 1, 2023 and must address, among other issues, which disability communities took part in the discussions, the insight gleaned, changes the provider has put in place, the number of subscribers on accessible plans, and the make-up of accessible plans available in the market in the course of the year, including those that were withdrawn.
The legally binding order, released Thursday, is a result…
Continue Reading
By Ahmad Hathout
MONTREAL – Quebecor CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau said on the company’s fourth quarter conference call Thursday that he is “not surprised” by the “little progress” the company has made on negotiating a deal to roam on the large carriers’ wireless networks, but said things may change with the new head at the CRTC.
The company’s Videotron subsidiary was denied last week an arbitration hearing with the regulator about a price for access to Bell’s wireless network, alleging Bell is stalling on negotiations. The CRTC, which asked about the status of those negotiations…
Continue Reading
By Ahmad Hathout
OTTAWA – There have been “dozens” of agreements since 2012 that deviated from the CRTC’s established rate regime for wholesale access to the networks of the larger telecommunications companies, and they are all in-line with the Telecommunications Act, Shaw argued in a submission to the CRTC on Tuesday.
Shaw was responding to a Part 1 application by independent internet service provider TekSavvy, which asked the CRTC last month to examine the legality of these off-tariff agreements (OTA) that provided a competitor with favourable wholesale access rates not available to other providers. TekSavvy alleged that Rogers…
Continue Reading
By Ahmad Hathout
OTTAWA – The CRTC has formally launched Wednesday its proceeding on a network outage notification framework, and in the meantime has put in place a temporary order for all Canadian carriers to report major service outages within two hours of them becoming aware of it.
The new order, which takes effect March 8, also requires that the carriers file a “comprehensive” report to the regulator within 14 days following the outage.
The interim order narrowly defines an outage as ones that affect the 9-1-1 network, critical infrastructure, major transport facilities, a carrier with more than 100,000 subscribers affected for…
Continue Reading
By Len St-Aubin, pictured above, an independent internet and telecoms consultant whose clients have included streamers, carriers, government, and not-for-profits. Formerly he was director general of telecommunications policy at Industry Canada and a member of the policy teams that developed both the 1991 Broadcasting Act and the 1993 Telecommunications Act. The opinions expressed in the following are his alone.
On February 14, Quebec’s National Assembly unanimously passed a motion demanding 11th hour amendments to bill C-11, the federal government’s proposed update of the Broadcasting Act, called the Online Streaming Act. Yet in May 2021, the assembly had unanimously passed a…
Continue Reading