We are looking for top talent to fill our new bilingual roles in our Oakville, ON office. We are very excited about the arrival of enthusiastic Francophones, who will spice up the ambiance and the culture at Pelmorex!
What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Life at Pelmorex: Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Pelmorex Pride: We are proud to be the undisputed leader of weather and travel information through websites, applications, specialty television networks and commercial weather services. We reach, on average, 40 million users each month. The Weather Network / MétéoMédia are the #1 Weather App in Canada with 4.2M unique average users. We also have the #1 iPad Weather App in Canada and a 2M average monthly reach on Desktop & Tablets (generating 113M average monthly page views). Our number one focus is our employees and we have won numerous awards for outstanding achievement in employee satisfaction, including being named one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canadian HR Team of the Year Award 2015.
We’re all about the WOW: We need people with ideas; people who challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We need enthusiastic people and collaborators. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you? To find out, you’ll need to apply!
Perks: Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
Writer, TV & Web
Job Type: 2 Full Time & 2 Part Time
Location: Oakville, ON
Bilingual is Essential: French & English
We absolutely require bilingual Talent (French/English) to ensure that we deliver the best final product to our viewers. Employees working for the MétéoMédia operations will communicate in French between the Montreal and Oakville offices.
The Writer, TV & Web is responsible for the research, writing and crafting of the relevant weather stories that will be used on television as well as on the different interactive platforms. You will also contribute and add to the web content related to the weather of the day. This role will collaborate in content preparation for special and seasonal projects.
The Job: A day in the life of a Writer, TV & Web:
- Write, edit and prepare content for news packages for various media platforms. (News for TV as well as a variation of the news on the Internet and content for Forces of Nature)
- Oversee news content and supporting elements
- Obtain a meteorological briefing at the beginning of each shift and follow the weather situation daily
- Continuously monitor information sources (newspapers, Internet, news wire, video feeds, etc.) and weather data to ensure accurate, credible and timely presentation of news content
- Oversee the creation of graphic elements (pictures and videos) that can support the news on TV and online and add these elements to content pages using content management system (CMS)
- Participate in the collection and analysis of information (phone interviews, research, news feed, enhance the content sent by users, etc.)
- Support the TV team during active weather situations
- Ensure the follow-up of research files with the TV and Web team on a daily basis
- Based on the direction received by the Senior Producer, identify with the Content Producer on duty of priority news for different platforms
- Identify and develop relevant content for viewers and Internet users (user generated content, educational materials, adding links to thematic sections, etc.)
- Manage the “active weather” banners posted on the website, the mobile site as well as other interactive applications
- Validate the results of the different content to verify and understand the interests of our users to different types of content offered on a daily basis with the members of the interactive team
- Contribute to maximize the exchange of content between the TV and web teams
- Participate in the dissemination of information on social networks
- Participate in preparing and upgrading the editorial calendar
- Translate and revise texts
- Participate in the research, writing, and preparation of audiovisual for TV projects and/or web content
- Carry out any other responsibilities and tasks related to this position
- Flexible (shift work is required)
Responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time.
- University degree or College diploma in Communications, Journalism or other related production fields
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in News writing
- Proficient in writing the French language
- Ability to write, edit and prepare news scripts and/or programming elements
- Good knowledge of geography, meteorology and current affairs is preferred
- Bilingual (French/English) is essential
What makes you stand out?
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Good understanding of the Internet and interest in news media;
- Good knowledge and ability to use interactive communication tools and social media;
- Must have initiative
- Strong computer knowledge
- Ability to work independently, and as a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Organized and meticulous about details
Send your resume to HireMe@pelmorex.com. Please quote “Writer, TV & Web – Full Time” or “Writer, TV & Web – Part Time“ in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of third party pre-employment background checks.
Pelmorex Media Inc. is committed to equity in the workplace.