Date: Dec 3, 2018
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Req Id: 224971
At Bell, we do more than build world-class networks, develop innovative services and create original multiplatform media content – we’re revolutionizing how Canadians communicate.
If you’re ready to bring game-changing ideas to life and join a community that values bold ideas, professional growth and employee wellness, we want you on the Bell team.
The Bell Media Digital team is focused on creating amazing and rich digital experiences for our audiences and keeping Canadians connected, informed, and entertained as technology changes at lightning speed. We’re looking for innovative team players ready to guide some of the most well-known entertainment brands in the country through a digital transformation.
- CTVNews.ca is seeking a writer who thrives on breaking news, and can generate original stories and other content for the website. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years experience in a wire service or online news operation.
- The writer will be responsible for 5-7 news stories per day, updating them with the latest information and working with television scripts and other newsroom sources.
- Pitch ideas for original reporting.
- Ensure the accuracy, consistency and adherence to standards of all material on the site (headlines, photos, captions, video, etc).
- Work may include visualizations in infographics, maps, quizzes, timelines and data journalism
- Monitoring and publishing wires, with an eye to SEO, keywords and social sharing
- Managing multiple social media streams for news (Twitter, Facebook, and others) and when required, sending news alerts to mobile apps
- Working closely with CTV News producers to extend general broadcast content on the website, and extending web-based content into the TV environment.
- Weekend and early morning/evening shifts as assigned.
- Participate in news editorial meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have an excellent command of the English language, and an ability to write accurate and engaging headlines.
- Ability to work under constant tight deadlines; time management skills and multi-tasking abilities are essential.
- Must be familiar with Canadian Press Style Guide and Canadian libel law.
- Degree in journalism preferred.
- Television experience an asset.
- Must have strong copy editing skills, clear and concise writing ability, excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work well individually or in a team.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, Adobe Photoshop and other applications in the Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
- Familiarity with newsroom management systems (e.g. iNews, etc.) and video encoding/format transferring an asset.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bilingualism is an asset (English and French); adequate knowledge of French is required for positions in Quebec.
Position Type: Media - Freelancer
Job Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Application Deadline: 12/31/2018
Please apply directly online to be considered for this role. Applications through email will not be accepted.
At Bell, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible workplace where every team member feels valued, respected, and supported, and has the opportunity to reach their full potential.