Find opportunity and adventure in Canada’s North!
At Northwestel, we're driven by a common vision of a highly connected North where every Northern Canadian can prosper and thrive. We're getting there by delivering the most innovative communications solutions for the North.
Join the Northwestel team and enjoy a unique balance of rewarding work and the extraordinary lifestyle that awaits you and your family in the North!
We know there’s more to your decision about where you work than just the work itself. Along with a professional and fulfilling work environment, you’ll enjoy competitive pay, team incentive plan, comprehensive benefit program and a commitment to ongoing professional development.
Discover the North by Northwestel, meet our people, and hear their stories on our website or on Instagram(northbynwtel).
We are seeking a permanent Vice President, Network & Information Technology located in Whitehorse, YT.
Northwestel’s Network, Engineering and IT teams plan, design, build and operate Northwestel’s $800M Network and IT infrastructure, including our $233M, five-year Modernization plan which provides the foundation and will deliver the next generation of northern Canada’s communications infrastructure. This project is in the final year and is the cornerstone of the company’s competitive advantage.
This will be accomplished through:
· The design and implementation of the company’s overall Business System area which includes Network and IT technologies, along with the business processes to support them. This includes the company’s comprehensive telecommunications infrastructure as well as its information systems. maintaining levels of uptime and availability, both within the Network and IT infrastructure, in line with the customer service levels committed to our customers’ solutions and services as well as the service levels required to maintain ongoing operations to the business.
· Assisting the corporation in reaching its growth plans. The incumbent is also an active participant in the company’s strategic direction definition as well as the initiatives related to the development of existing or new businesses.
· Working with Northwestel’s Market teams to understand Northwestel’s competitive and market strategies and building off Northwestel’s Modernization plan, continue to build out a network and IS/IT roadmap, ensuring technology selection that will respond to the future growth and upcoming customer needs. designing and building Northwestel’s network as per the roadmap, optimizing shareholder investment and ensuring customer needs are met in a timely fashion.
· Maintaining and supporting Northwestel’s network infrastructure in line with service levels and operational commitments. This includes responsibility for escalations and resolution of Network Incidents and Service Requests within the portfolio.
· Overseeing the development of the company’s Information Systems and Technology strategy, implementation, ongoing development and daily operations including both production processes and user support, ensuring operational and security standards and practices are enforced and maintained.
· Developing best practices to create and execute strong sourcing strategies and practices aimed at providing the best total cost of ownership for both our customers and the business.
What you will need be successful in this role:
1. Senior Network & IT technology operations &/or development experience within the telecommunications industry with knowledge and experience with:
· Voice, Video and Internet services
· HFC, DSL and FTTH Access networks
· Core network
· Elements and concepts of network security
· Services and Operating Systems
· IP Networking
· Project Management
· OSS/BSS Systems, BPM Systems, SAP
· WAN/LAN technologies
· IT Infrastructure
2. Degree and/or Masters in engineering or Information Technology
3. Program management experience with a proven track record of successful project delivery
4. Strong relationship builder with a proven track record of establishing and maintaining strategic internal and external partnerships
5. Exceptional people leader with demonstrated skills to attract, develop and engage talent across various geographic locations and work styled environments
6. Outstanding business acumen with the ability to anticipate and develop strategies in a rapidly evolving telecommunication industry
7. Experience developing innovative approaches to procurement and other sourcing strategies along with commensurate risk management skills
8. Ability to think strategically and act tactically
9. Professional Engineering designation would be an asset
What we offer you:
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Team Incentive Plan & Discounts
- Generous vacation and a vacation travel allowance
- Work-life balance
- Community involvement
Whitehorse is home to some of the most spectacular scenery in Canada. Few cities in the world offer such rich access to pristine wilderness, yet still provide all the amenities of a modern metropolis. Whitehorse offers a thriving arts community, good restaurants and outdoor lifestyle. The easy access to trails, rivers, lakes and mountains are what will make this northern city so unique. Whitehorse is home to a bustling community of 27,000 people, many of whom are young, active, and adventurous. Whitehorse is nestled on the banks of the Yukon River surrounded by the peaks of Grey Mountain, Haeckel Hill, and Golden Horn Mountain. The pristine lakes and rivers provide year-round activities. The easy access to the great outdoors, makes Whitehorse one of the best cities in Canada in which to live and work. There are several airlines servicing the area Air North/ Air Canada and West Jet as well as being highly accessible by car, and RV.
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.