Date: May 10, 2017
Position Title: Transmitter Technician/Regional Transmitter Technician
Division: Production, Distribution & Administration
Reports To: Manager, Transmission
Salary Range: $55,681.60 - $75,441.60
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
TVO operates over-the-air transmitters across Ontario, and provides transmitter maintenance and project services to other broadcasters. The Transmitter Technician/Regional Transmitter Technician position supports these activities with routine and emergency maintenance and supports projects as needed.
- Under the general direction of the Transmission Officer, ensures the continuous safe operation of the broadcast transmission system throughout the region, in compliance with industry regulations and in accordance with the TVO standards
- Set up, install, inspect, analyze and report on the condition of transmitters and related equipment, as required
- Inspect, maintain and report on the condition of transmitter sites and vehicles
- Setup and maintain Local Area Networks
- Perform routine and emergency maintenance on all types of technical and mechanical equipment on site or remotely
- Oversee work of outside contractors in activities authorized by TVO
- Respond to maintenance calls according to the On-call system rotation
- Adherence to Health & Safety and Environmental regulatory requirements, policies and procedures including Safety Code 6 and the Unifor Collective Agreement
- Act as technical liaison with viewers, as required
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, as required
- Participate in projects, as required
- May be required to direct new and/or less experienced Transmitter Technicians in the performance of their assignments
- Post-secondary education (college diploma) in Electronics
- Experience maintaining medium/high power ATSC DTV Television Transmitters or equivalent experience in RF Transmission technologies
- Currently living in or willing to relocate to Sudbury, Ontario (ideally living within 50KM commuting distance of the base site)
- Experience with IP based technologies as applied to TV broadcast
- Strong Mpeg-2 transport stream knowledge
- High level understanding of Program and system information Protocol (PSIP) used in ATSC DTV TV systems
- Strong knowledge of Computer Network Topology and protocol experience to include TCP/IP
- Proven self-starter with strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Must be able to work efficiently, effectively and independently in a designated collaborative team environment
- Requires high degree of comfort collaborating over distances via telephone, e-mail and on-line workspaces
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Effective and accurate verbal and written communication skills, in particular with regard to technical language
- Must be able to climb short ladders within the facility to affect repairs within the building
- Mechanical experience is an asset
- Must have ability to work on call, including extensive overtime, weekends, and to travel frequently
- Must have a valid Ontario Driver’s license in good standing to drive a TVO vehicle
- Must be able and willing to relocate within Ontario as business needs require
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.