Work Location:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Every day, our passionate employees connect our customers to the world and everything in it – it’s why we exist at Shaw, and it’s why we strive to be the place where the best people choose to work. Our people reflect the richness of our communities, and our culture is inclusive of each individual’s diverse background and perspective, which makes us a stronger team.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Systems Architect II
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Architect II in our Calgary Hopewell office. The successful candidate will be accountable for developing solutions that help us automate the way we deploy and maintain our Core transport networks. Additionally, the Systems Architect II will act as an advisor and technical lead (from a software development perspective) within a group of experienced network architects, analysts and designers. This position reports to the Manager, Data Center Networks and Core Automation.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
• Develop and deliver creative solutions that automate or optimize equipment turn-up, software upgrades, provisioning and troubleshooting
• Create and update libraries, applications, and test automation scripts
• Recognize and help refine unspecified requirements
• Conduct design and code reviews
• Deal with and resolve difficult technical issues related to software development
• Aid in the development of architectural framework and design
• Take responsibility for the quality of deliverables
• Proactively identify areas for improvement, work collaboratively with other team members, seek solutions and make recommendations
• Communicate regularly and effectively with colleagues, leadership, product stakeholders and vendors
• Assist with the evaluation and integration of new products, technologies and software updates into the existing network
• Promote and represent Shaw in a positive and professional manner
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• Experience with automation engines and configuration management systems such as Ansible, AWX/Tower, Chef, Puppet or Terraform
• Experience with distributed source control systems (i.e. Git), software development lifecycle, Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD)
• Experienced with container runtimes such as Docker or rkt
• Familiar with container autopilot pattern, etc.
• Experience with a defect tracking system such as JIRA
• Strong design methodologies and data analysis skills
• Strong understanding of unit testing
• Comfortable working in both Windows and Unix/Linux as well as with Microsoft Office
• Post-secondary degree or technical diploma in computer science or related field
• Experience in the design, installation, and operation of IP networks involving routers, switches, and security appliances is an asset
• Familiar with Agile development methodologies
• Proven team player with excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• A positive, friendly and collaborative approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity
If you want to be part of something bigger—part of a dynamic team of people who are aligned, focused, and passionate about working together to care for our customers, then we look forward to meeting you! Join us.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
BUSINESS UNIT: TOPS
Shaw Communications, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.