Shaping the future of broadcasting policy in Canada and advocating on behalf of TELUS’ innovative and customer-centric television distribution services.
TELUS holds a unique position in the Canadian communications industry as a large network access provider (with both significant wireline and wireless infrastructure) which does not own any commercial programming services (“TV channels”). Unlike its main competitors, TELUS is not “vertically integrated” and instead is a pure-play distributor focused on providing the best viewing experience to customers through innovation and offering the best content from around the world.
The impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
You are a pragmatic, no-nonsense thinker with a great sense of humour. Your counsel is equal parts logic, analysis and wisdom. You are interested in making a difference in the way in which Canadians will access content in the future. Reporting to the Vice-President, Broadcast Policy and Regulatory Affairs, the Senior Regulatory Legal Counsel will contribute to TELUS' public policy and regulatory advocacy as a member of the company’s Government & Regulatory Affairs team in Ottawa. You will also be responsible for providing regulatory advice to other TELUS team members on the application of the regulatory framework to services offered by TELUS. In this role, you will take part in advocating in favour of policies which ensure that Canadian consumers can access all the content they want from the provider of their choice.
- Sought out for your ability to assist with the development of TELUS’ public policy and regulatory advocacy on a wide range of content policy issues, including regulation of television distribution, regulation of other content platforms, copyright, and the dynamics of competition in a highly concentrated and vertically integrated market place
- Confident in ensuring regulatory compliance of all content-related services provided by TELUS
- Known for your ability to lead inter-disciplinary task teams within TELUS struck to address particular public policy and regulatory issues
- Respected for embracing a culture that advances TELUS’ strategic imperatives and corporate priorities, including our Customers First strategy
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle:
- With a Bachelor of Laws (or equivalent) or a related post-graduate degree combined with an equivalent combination of legal, regulatory and/or public policy experience in related fields
- With a minimum 5 years of experience in the fields of law, regulation, and/or public policy related to information and communications technologies and the Internet
- With a reputation for strong understanding of the broadcasting and content industry and new delivery and business models, as well as the applicable legal and regulatory frameworks
- Noted for your ability to effectively communicate legal and advocacy written advice and presentations to diverse range of stakeholders both internally and externally
- Recognized for your proven ability to provide concise, persuasive and timely analysis of legal, regulatory, technical and economic subject-matter
- Respected for your proven ability to handle complex matters, prioritize and deal with multiple assignments, and exercise judgement, often under significant time pressures
- Bilingual French/English (both oral and written)