Broadband Networks seeks a bold, courageous and high performing single-contributor to perform as a Sr. Project Manager within our community build project Management office (PMO) portfolio. The opportunity is suited for individuals looking to develop their career by contributing to the success of a high-profile strategic program in a growing team.
The FIT PMO team, within Broadband Networks, specifically owns the end-to-end project management of community fibre-to-the-premise implementation: from Planning, Design, Build, to handover of “Ready for Service” (RFS) premises to Marketing and Install teams. The FIT PMO also manages overall capital management including setting budget, forecasting and driving capital execution.
This Sr. Project Manager will be part of a larger team Sr. Project Managers and contractors who collectively manage major partner streams within a larger delivery program. Specifically the Sr. Project Manager will manage a portfolio of 3-7 communities, owning the schedule management (premise delivery) and capital execution (budgeting, forecasting, stewardship) over FIT’s Design, Construction, Materials and Drops Placement functions.
The major deliverables and accountabilities include stewardship over end-to-end execution schedules which deliver premises RFS to Marketing and Install teams for loading, and development / implementation of improved capital management processes for the new build partner streams.
The PM will also facilitate reviews for annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly capital and premise delivery execution – identifying and mitigating risks and variances to delivery on functional milestones or CAPEX performance.
- Own portfolio of 3-7 communities including schedule and capital management
- Manage schedule (functional milestones)
- Own capital management (budget setting, forecasting, weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual capex delivery)
- Drive compliance to quote-to invoice process, within the portfolio of communities that the PM owns – and support peers in reciprocal coverage for their duties
- Identify and mitigate risks to schedule delivery and capital execution
- Analyze complex business changes in expectations pertaining to continuously evolving requirements and recommend solutions strategies/policy directions to senior management
- Accountable for the success of assigned projects
- Deliver assigned projects on time, within scope and on budget
- Monitor project status and ensure proactive measures are prepared should project risks arise
- Ensure all risk plans are complete and implemented for all project
- Ensure project costs are tracked appropriately
- Ensure all roles and responsibilities are clearly defined for each project
- Ensures adherence to TELUS policies and procedures by all resources assigned to their project
- Preferred experience managing vendors / external partners
- Familiarity with setting budget forecasting and managing spend transactions and drivers on a weekly and monthly cycle
- Milestone schedule management (missed milestones recovery, keeping future milestones on track, looking for options to accelerate milestones)
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies and practices
- Knowledge of performance improvement methodologies and practices e.g. Lean Six Sigma, PMP, agile development or other industry standards
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and communication skills with the ability to present information at all levels of the organization
- Exposure to Financial management (CAPEX or OPEX budgeting and profiling and forecasting)
- Includes implementation of accrual accounting and transactions
- Familiarity with SAP transactions and reporting
- Familiarity with JIRA and DOMO
- Highly motivated, creative, self-sufficient with ability to work successfully under pressure
- Ability to learn the role via a mix of onboarding, peer training and resourceful - independent learning
- Ability to drive self-directed initiatives – proactively identify when it’s necessary to take certain steps and move ahead with confidence
- Strong analytical abilities to provide develop strategies based on historical and current data
- Advanced Microsoft Office ability (especially MS Excel)
- Proven ability to manage processes
- Demonstrated ability to work with peers in a cross-functional setting
- Passion for excellence, strong work ethic and solutions-oriented
- Creativity and problem solving ability to overcome unexpected obstacles
- The ability to build a collaborative environment that utilizes the ‘fair process’ approach to solution building with team and partners
Required Professional Designation/Certification:
- University and/or technical school degree, preferably from Engineering and/or Business Administration discipline
- Accounting or Finance designation (CPA, CMA, CFA)
- Project Management/PMP
- 5–10 years of managing cross functional performance improvement projects of large scale and/or complexity
- Experience working within the Telecommunications industry
- Previous capital management (budget setting, forecasting, variance reporting, accrual transactions, mitigation)
- Previous milestone management or similar schedule management delivery
Who is TELUS?
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?