Powered by state-of-the-art fibre optic and wireless networks, Eastlink delivers world-class video entertainment and communications services to residential, business and public sector customers across Canada. As one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 11 consecutive years, Eastlink provides high speed Internet, wireless, TV, telephone, security and automation, data communications and exclusive, locally-produced programming. Headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Eastlink is the largest privately owned telecommunications Company in Canada with an employee base of just over 1500 individuals.
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the Senior Payroll Coordinator (14 month term position) is an extremely experienced and highly effective payroll & service expert with a superior understanding of payroll practices, Canadian legislation and highly complex customer requirements. This senior role is directly responsible to lead internal projects and develop internal processes and training materials. The successful incumbent must have exceptional service skills and possess the ability & flexibility to handle multiple tasks & projects while making themselves available to support both their internal & external clients.
• Develop and implement process controls to measure and monitor the payroll function
• Assist Payroll Manager with analyzing/auditing payroll transactions, validity checks to reduce errors, etc.
• Identify, recommend and implement areas where technology could be utilized to improve the function of the department
• Subject Matter Expert for payroll platform, Ceridian Dayforce HCM, responsible for maintaining and configuring system, as well as continuous improvement initiatives while ensuring the integrity of payroll processing
• Identify unusual items for investigation, items for which company or regulatory policy has not been followed, and bring forward to Payroll Manager/Director Corporate Accounting for resolution
• Develop detailed action plans for yearend payroll and other regular deadline processing to ensure deadlines are met, checks and balances are implemented and Payroll Manager is given time to properly review.
• Assist Payroll Manager to ensure month end closing and reports are completed per the schedule for month end closing.
• Responsible for processing payroll in absence of Payroll Manager
• Post-secondary education in Accounting or Finance would be considered an asset;
• CPA certification and/or equivalent of 5-7 years experience;
• Technical aptitude to manage complex payroll system;
• Strong computer and payroll systems skills including Excel;
• Ability to follow established policies & procedures;
• Be an excellent communicator;
• Ability to react quickly to changing conditions and requirements
• An understanding of unionization and implications of unionization on payroll and payroll reporting
Eastlink is focused on creating an environment which promotes individual growth and career satisfaction. Creativity, entrepreneurial spirit and innovation drive us. We’re looking for people who have the passion for our business, our values and want to go above and beyond for our customers every day.
Dedicated to representing all of the customers we serve, we embrace diversity throughout all levels of the organization and encourage members of equity groups to self-identify during the application process.