A little about us
What we do at Shaw matters – in a world where being connected has never been more critical, we bring the best wireline and wireless technology and solutions together to create exceptional customer experiences. Every day we help millions of Canadians live their best-connected lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our Fast LTE and Fibre+ networks.
At Shaw we say we’re brighter together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people here that really makes us shine. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Shaw connects you with limitless opportunity, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Come dream bigger and brighter with Shaw.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Network Architect II. Reporting to the Manager, Customer Solutions Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing and implementing data networks for large Private LTE/5G Enterprise customers.
This position will appeal to those who enjoy the excitement of creating a new business in a start-up environment, but with the stability of being within a large organization. Further, you will be involved in all aspects of the entire network design from the UE to the RAN to the backhaul to the mobile core network, providing broad exposure to the end-to-end system design.
A typical day
• Work directly with customers, sales, project management, internal and supplier engineering teams to develop and deliver the routing/switching/transport/core aspects of complete stand-alone Private LTE/5G networks to meet Customer needs.
• Complete life cycle involvement; from pre-sales initial designs/proposals to post-contact detailed HLD/LLD design to implementation and acceptance. RAN, backhaul and EPC.
• Interface directly with key decision makers, ranging from IT staff up to and including CIOs, of current and potential customers.
• Develop high-level and low-level Layer 1-3 network designs for private wireless systems, working closely with end customers, strategic technology partners, sub-contractors and internal teams.
• Prepare project technical documentation and configuration data, including network diagrams, drawings, methods of procedure, configuration files, and test plans.
• Translate high-level customer requirements into solutions that balance technical, schedule and cost constraints.
• Support the end-to-end delivery of customer solutions from concept through design, review, build, integration, and test.
• Assist with the development of customer proposals and bid responses, including preparing technical documentation, high-level schedules, and cost estimates.
• Deliver technical presentations and demonstrations in support of customer pre- and post-sales activities.
• Take the lead role in commissioning, integration, and acceptance testing, with Customer and network suppliers.
• Provide ongoing technical support (level-3) for customer solutions and work closely with stakeholders to resolve issues/problems.
• A University Degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field is a must.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience in LAN/WAN network design and implementation, including IP, Ethernet, and MPLS networks, preferably with a mobile network operator or vendor.
• Advanced knowledge in network design and implementation with routers, switches, load balancers, and firewalls.
• Deep understanding with networking protocols such as BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, VRF, DMVPN, NAT, QoS, Spanning-tree, and VLANs.
• Implementation experience with security protocols and devices such as stateful firewall, IPS, IPSec, SSL/TLS as well as L2 security (DHCP snooping, ARP inspection).
• Experience with Nokia, Cisco and Juniper routers and switches.
• Familiarity with wireless communications fundamentals, standards, protocols, and network architectures, including: 4G/LTE, 5G, IoT, microwave radio, and network/element management systems would be an asset.
• Experience in customer facing roles, such as Sales Engineer, Technical Marketing Engineer, or Solution Architect would be an asset.
• Excellent technical writing and verbal communications skills coupled with the ability to present complex topics to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to build strong relationships with customers and internal and external stakeholders
• Industry certifications in networking and security (e.g., CCNA, CCIE, CCNP, CISSP, CWNP, etc.) are an asset.
• Knowledge of Nokia LTE/5G and microwave products would be a plus.
• Knowledge of Security concepts (CISSP beneficial or ISP Certification) would be a plus.
• Able to travel up to 20% of the time domestically
• This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
• Applicants will be hired in any Shaw or Freedom location and will not be required to relocate for this role.
Posting closing date:March 19, 2021
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.