What we do at Shaw matters – in a world where being connected has never been more critical, we bring the best wireline and wireless technology and solutions together to create exceptional customer experiences. Every day we help millions of Canadians live their best-connected lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our Fast LTE and Fibre+ networks.
At Shaw we say we’re brighter together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people here that really makes us shine. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Shaw connects you with limitless opportunity, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Come dream bigger and brighter with Shaw.
We have an exciting opportunity for a senior accountant reporting to Supervisor, Fixed Assets & Lease Accounting. In a dynamic, fast paced environment, the successful candidate will be a key member accountable for delivering timely, accurate and relevant financial information to support financial, management and statutory reporting. You must have a desire/willingness to investigate and learn new skills/concepts/tools and be a self-starter.
A typical day
• Fixed Assets
• Collaborate with business units to determine appropriate accounting treatment of contracts/agreements
• Review purchase requisitions to ensure cost is appropriately classified as capex vs. opex
• Collaborate with business units to assess whether Construction-in-Progress assets are “available for use”
• Maintain and reconcile Asset Retirement Obligation schedule
• Prepare various account reconciliations and analysis
• Involve in various processes including asset disposals, assessment of useful life, internal labour capitalization
• Lease Accounting
• Collaborate with business units to determine whether contractual arrangements are leases or contain leases
• Review amendments/modifications on existing leases to ensure appropriate accounting under IFRS 16
• Validate lease details are accurately reflected in Co-Star Real Estate Management tool to facilitate appropriate accounting
• Maintain and reconcile lease amortization schedules and IFRS 16 related accounts
• Prepare journal entries, schedules, reconciliations, reporting and analysis
• Continuously evaluate accounting processes and reporting, looking for increased efficiencies and better information for management decision-making; and identify and provide solutions to processes.
• Complete special projects, ad-hoc requests and various other duties as needed
• A designated CPA with a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will also be considered
• Demonstrated understanding of IFRS 16-Leases
• Proficiency with Excel (e.g., pivot tables, simple macros, and ability to analyze large data sets)
• Experience with CoStar Real Estate Management and Oracle ERP is an asset
• Thrives in a collaborative team focused environment, adaptive and enthusiastic about change and continuous improvement
• Detail oriented with high standards of excellence and an enthusiastic self-starter with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills at all organizational levels
• This position requires the successful completion of a criminal (and credit) background check.
• This position is in Toronto
Posting closing date:April 14, 2021
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.