Interested in shaping the future of broadband and media policy in Canada and advocating on behalf of TELUS’ innovative and customer-centric broadband services?
In this role, the right candidate will provide legal and policy advice to stakeholders on compliance issues and coordinate projects associated with TELUS’ broadband and online media policy files. Tasks associated with this role include: providing advisory services to business units on regulatory matters pursuant to the Broadcasting Act and Telecommunications Act, as well as obligations pursuant to the Copyright Act; coordinating internal and external support for on-going regulatory/policy projects; creating advocacy positions on regulatory matters before the CRTC and the Copyright Board; as well as research and guidance on emerging policy issues to senior leadership.
You are a pragmatic, no-nonsense thinker with a great sense of humour. Your counsel is equal parts logic, analysis and strategic thinking. You are interested in making a difference in the way in which Canadians will access content in the future. If this sounds like you, read on…
Reporting to the Vice-President, Broadcasting Policy and Regulatory Affairs, this Director, Broadband Policy will contribute to TELUS' public policy and regulatory advocacy as a member of the company’s Federal Government & Regulatory Affairs team. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing regulatory advice to other TELUS team members on the application of the Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Copyright Acts to services offered by TELUS.
What YOU will do:
- Advocate on behalf of TELUS before the CRTC and other bodies in support of regulatory policies that advance TELUS’ business strategies and interests
- Lead high quality group problem-solving and decision-making by priming inter-disciplinary task teams struck to provide corporate information necessary to formulate submissions to regulatory agencies as required, or to further business initiatives
- Provide regulatory advice to executives and business units with respect to significant corporate initiatives and regulatory developments
- Embrace a culture that advances TELUS’ strategic imperatives and corporate priorities, including our Customers First strategy
What YOU Bring:
- Strong understanding of the market for internet services in Canada including new technologies and business models for content distribution, as well as applicable legal and regulatory frameworks, especially those stemming from the Broadcasting and Copyright Acts
- Knowledge of current and emerging issues related to broadband and internet deployments including possible threats to current business models, as well as opportunities for growth and the ways these may be supported through public policy
- Proven ability to handle complex matters, prioritize and deal with multiple assignments, often under significant time pressures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially advocacy writing skills including presentation skills that enable effective communications with both internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to provide concise, persuasive and timely analysis of legal, regulatory, technical and economic subject-matter
- Proficiency in French is an asset
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the fields of law, regulation, and/or public policy related to information and communications technologies and the Internet
- University degree in a relevant field to the Director position
- Bachelor of Laws (or equivalent) or a related post-graduate degree combined with an equivalent combination of legal, regulatory and/or public policy experience in related fields
Who is TELUS?
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Primary Location: CA-ON-Toronto
Other Locations: CA-AB-Calgary, CA-BC-Vancouver, CA-AB-Edmonton, CA-ON-Ottawa