Technical and Production
Position Language Requirement Bilingual (English / French)
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) B B B
Status of Employment Temporary
Work schedule(s) Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
This is a temporary position as a technician assigned to the MPC Operation in the Toronto Broadcast Centre. The primary function will be to oversee the playback of TV broadcasts through an automated system to the Canadian public. Based on the successful candidate’s abilities, opportunities in Radio and/or Digital may present themselves as required by the operations.
Applicant’s requirements, for the position, will perform tasks needed for the efficient and accurate presentation of television material for programs or events. Creative problem solving may be required during presentation. Work is generally performed according to accepted CBC or industry standards, but independent action, judgment and initiative are also needed to solve operational issues. When instructions or requirements are not clear, contact staff concerned for clarification, or use independent judgment under severe time constraints. Signal problems or imperfections clearly and promptly to the relevant authority.
- Perform presentation operations required for TV broadcasts.
- Perform necessary checks, adjustments and alignments in accordance with standard procedures to ensure technical equipment remain in good working order.
- Monitor and control signals, ensuring adherence to approved technical standards, and take appropriate action if quality is below standard. Report errors, imperfections and gaps.
- Operate, program, and keep in good working order all complex presentation systems.
- Keep equipment, applications and technical devices in a suitable state and available for use by ensuring they remain in good working condition.
- Oversee the distribution of complex, fast-paced live news and current affairs programs, using studio or location signals, coping with programming changes, multiple or unknown sources and other elements on an ongoing basis.
- In the absence of supervisors or management, assist broadcasting staff in solving problems.
- Direct and coordinate the work of other staff assigned to prepare, set up, install and operate equipment. Help train co-workers.
- Advise partners on technical operations needs and requirements related to equipment and facilities.
- Perform, in whole or in part, the functions or duties of an equivalent or lower classification.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Willing to work shifts in a 24/7 operation.
- Overall general knowledge of TV and radio program production, delivery and presentation methods, including a basic understanding of production crafts. Knowledge generally gained through college studies or equivalent relevant experience in TV/radio broadcasting.
- Three years’ directly related experience, including one year as a broadcast technician.
- Functional bilingualism (English and French), an asset.
- Knowledge of the TV and radio server environment a major asset.
- Able to program complex automated presentation systems.
- Good knowledge of TV and radio control rooms (asset).
- Knowledge of communication networks and audio hookups.
- Able to work independently.
- Must have high availability, and be accountable for the smooth presentation of programs.
- Must demonstrate creativity in finding solutions rapidly.
- Able to perform assigned duties effectively under tight deadlines, producing quality work and maintaining a positive, professional attitude.
- Able to rise quickly and effectively to challenges in the work environment.
- Able to get organized quickly.
- Excellent communicator.
- Able to analyze a situation and make decisions efficiently and rapidly, also communicating them effectively.
- Good sense of initiative.
- Good concentration skills, especially during program presentation.
- Good attitude toward co-workers; team player.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
Closed Captioning opportunities are also available within Media Presentation.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.