Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) - - -
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Part-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
This is a permanent part time position.
We are looking for an experienced News/Editor Presenter for CBC’s weekend morning newscasts in Ontario. The News/Editor Presenter is a key player on the Fresh Air program team. The successful candidate is an exceptional journalist, leader and thrives in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of breaking news. The ability to go live and "off script" at a moment's notice is highly valued.
Reporting to the Executive Producer of News, you'll play an integral editorial and leadership role in preparing and presenting the daily news on weekends. You will write and edit radio scripts in coordination with the assignment desk and the reporting team, and you’ll be comfortable packaging stories filed from the field when needed.
You will also be an active participant in Fresh Air’s roundtable discussions where you’ll be able to talk about a wide range of topics and you’ll be comfortable sharing a laugh with your colleagues and our audience.
You will propose story ideas, conduct interviews on or off air, and interact with program participants. You will be comfortable using social media to further our journalism and connect with our audience.
You will play an integral role in the Local Services strategy with a focus on three priorities:
Content: In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve. You will further our original, enterprise and investigative storytelling and ensure we are talking about what matters most to people throughout Ontario. You’re innovative and will try new things, new workflows and new story treatments. You inspire others to do the same.
Community: As the industry shifts, local news and community storytelling is more important than ever. You will understand the diverse and rapidly changing population of the province and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content. You are genuinely immersed in the diversity of experiences that make up Ontario.
Culture: You live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful workplace.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A journalism degree or equivalent preferred.
- Four years of comparable and relevant experience that demonstrates knowledge of the broadcasting industry preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated understanding and awareness of issues and events particular to Ontario and to daily news.
- Excellent reporting, interviewing and writing skills.
- Ability to generate original story ideas and creative treatments.
- An engaging on-air presence.
- The ability to evaluate and analyze a broad range of issues and to tell those stories with clarity, in a manner that relates the stories to the people affected by them.
- Strong presentation style and ease with live work.
- Able to present material with credibility and authority in a range of situations including live events and breaking news.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and team playing skills.
- Creative, flexible and self-motivated.
- Ability to fulfill the role of Reporter/Editor.
- Genuinely engaged, interested and immersed in a wide range of diverse experiences that make up Ontario
- Strong knowledge and understanding of, and/or connection to underrepresented communities across Ontario is key
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Openness to diverse perspectives and ideas, and differing points of view is critical.
Please include additional documentation or a link to your online demo or website, blog or video in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.