Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
About the Role:
Global News Radio 770 CHQR has an exciting opportunity for a Full-Time News Anchor. Reporting to the News Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for gathering, researching, writing and presenting newscasts and stories for radio and online platforms. We’re looking for someone with a great attitude to be a part of a team that strives to bring the best news and information to all our platforms, each and every day.
- Write, produce, and anchor radio newscasts
- Chase news tips and develop stories that relate to our listeners
- Write and post online news stories
- Update and maintain social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, texting, blogs etc.)
- Develop a broad contact list with news makers and leaders
- Perform news desk checks ie. Court
- Work closely with television news assets to create radio-ready content
- Monitor Fire/Police/EMS transmissions and releases
Required skills and qualifications:
- A strong on-air presentation with the ability to adapt
- Work independently generating fresh, unique stories
- Strong news writing abilities
- A passion for on-air discussions with show hosts on 770 and other Corus News Talk stations
- Be able to generate new stories over telephone
- The ability to work alone and with others to meet strict deadlines
- Smartphone savvy, being able to send text, photo and video to website and newsroom
- Intimate understanding and fluency in Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, texting, blogs etc.)
- A high level of initiative and self-motivation
- A strong journalism and news background
- Post-secondary education
- Experience with Burli newsroom operating system considered an asset
- A positive, friendly manner and customer service approach that will enable the successful candidate to deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity.
- Ability to work comfortably alongside remote teams
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume and air check by November 15, 2018 to:
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.