What we do at Shaw matters – in a world where being connected has never been more critical, we bring the best wireline and wireless technology and solutions together to create exceptional customer experiences. Every day we help millions of Canadians live their best-connected lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our Fast LTE and Fibre+ networks.
At Shaw we say we’re brighter together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people here that really makes us shine. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Shaw connects you with limitless opportunity, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Come dream bigger and brighter with Shaw.
Shaw and Rogers are in the middle of the regulatory review process for the proposed integration of our two organizations. Many of the areas in our Finance and Accounting teams are heavily involved in the data gathering, sharing, and reviewing part of this process. As a result, we have need to bring on additional support to assist our teams with the additional workload.
We currently have 12 vacancies for Coop students/University interns/New graduates. All positions would start on September 1st/7th, 2021, with an expected end date of December 23rd/30th. There may be an opportunity to extend some of these contracts past these dates.
A typical day
In our Commercial Finance Department, we have the following 7 positions available:
1. Business Intelligence Team
• Documentation of business requirements for projects, activities and ad-hoc requests, review of Service Now intake, and organization of SharePoint documentation
• Creation and maintenance of Kanbanize board
• Preference for candidates with SQL skills to assist with conversion of MicroStrategy reports into Tableau and other ad-hoc data requests
2. Corporate Reporting Team
• Work on a team of analysts who possess advanced skills in SQL, Python and data visualization
• Validate aggregated figures based on millions of rows of data
• Work with advanced data storytellers to help support visualizations that drive data based decision making
• Gain exposure to multiple projects, data/reporting tools in a fast-paced environment
3. Commercial Finance – TOPS (Technology, Operations, Product, and Supply Chain) Partnership Team
• Support the Senior Financial Analyst dedicated the Operations teams in a business partner role. Duties include but are not limited to:
o Analysis of month end results vs. budget and forecast
o Assist in preparing monthly forecast updates
o Assist in preparing monthly financial summaries
o Respond to queries and work with Accounting Department as required
4. Commercial Finance – Shaw Business Partnership Team
• Use Excel to collect, summarize, and present financial details and past and present trends
• Assist in analyzing financial models and business cases to support projects
• Assist in preparing monthly commissions for Sales Representatives and Channel Partners for Payroll and Accounts Payable departments
• Support in responding to ad-hoc requests for information & clarification from business
5. Financial Planning and Analysis Team
• Conducts research to understand month-end financial variances at both the G&A and enterprise levels
• Supports the G&A forecast, annual operating plan and long-term projections
• Supports monthly and quarterly management reporting process to deliver relevant and timely financial information and insight to senior leadership team
• Assists with business cases/ROI analysis to support G&A strategic initiatives and projects
• Develops dashboards and scorecards in support of G&A functions
6. Revenue Assurance and Fraud Management Team
• Prepare reports and presentations required for RAFM department (including monthly dashboards)
• Create and maintain process control documentations for Revenue Assurance and Fraud Management
• Build case analysis reports for RA & Fraud incidents
7. Revenue Assurance and Credit Governance Team
• Help set up and build out Jira Confluence Project Management Workspace for Revenue Assurance and Credit Governance
• Help in building business cases that support our data and insight research and investigation work
In our Finance and Corporate Development Department, we have the following 5 positions available:
8. Wireline Revenue Team & Wireline Regulatory Finance Teams
• Month end activities including preparation of journal entries and booking to the general ledger
• Preparing monthly working capital reconciliations and proposing adjustments where required
• Reviewing operating margins, reporting monthly financial results and preparing related variance analysis
• Complete ad-hoc requests from Operations and Senior Management
9. Finance Transformation Team
• Cleanup and migration of Finance project tracking from Enterprise Project Inventory in Excel to ServiceNow PPM. Tasks will include preparing data for conversion, entering/updating of project records and developing reporting and analytics
• Support preparation of weekly status reports for Finance projects and leadership updates
• Conduct regular update meetings and ad hoc meetings with various Finance leaders and staff to determine project status and updates
10. Tax Team
• Assist with the preparation of tax filings
• Assist with tax audit responses
• Assist team with other tax projects
11. Treasury and Accounts Payable Teams
• Exposure to the entire Procure to pay process, gaining experience processing both PO and Non-PO invoices
• Partnership with Internal Business Stakeholders in support of process and controls (understanding tax requirements, payment terms, audit controls)
12. Cash Reconciliation and Accounts Receivable Team
• Exposure to the entire Oracle AR Billing/Payment/Collection process with varied products and customers.
• Exposure to various payment types, the payment application processes on multiple billing platforms and dealing with third party partners.
• Exposure to the bank reconciliation process and how the payment application and AR Invoicing affects the reconciliations.
• Partnership with Internal Business Stakeholders in support of process and controls (audit controls, reconciliations)
• Working towards or have completed a Management or Commerce degree with a concentration, major, and/ or minor in Finance or Accounting
• High attention to detail and strong organization skills
• Strong technical skills (emphasis on MS Excel and PowerPoint), with the ability to adapt to new systems and applications quickly.
• Very strong analytical skills and ability to work with large amounts of data
• A proactive, energetic and enthusiastic approach to your work
• A flexible attitude towards change and the ability to adapt to new situations, desire to learn
• Previous work experience in an Accounting or Finance role
• Major or minor in Computer Science
• Previous work experience in an office setting
• Coding (sql) skills
• Previous work experience in the Telecommunications industry
• Technical experience with Oracle, data analytical tools and financial planning tools
• These roles can be located either in Calgary or Toronto and may be fully remote or hybrid (some days working from home, some days coming into the corporate office at either the Toronto (16 York) or Calgary (Shaw Court) offices) on a weekly basis.
• These positions require the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
• Please apply at https://www.shaw.ca/corporate/careers and attach your resume, a cover letter, and your university transcripts.
Posting closing date:August 1, 2021
At Shaw, we believe diversity and inclusion are integral to the continued growth and success of our entire company. We believe diversity and inclusion enhances our Company’s culture and creates a sense of belonging where people feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work. This in turn promotes innovation through harnessing the variety of experiences, thoughts, and perspectives our employees have to offer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, or any other identifying characteristic.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.