Northwestel is now accepting applications for the permanent, full-time Network Support Services Technician (IP and WAN) position located in Yellowknife, NT.
- Operates and manages the Nortel Passport management system for circuit configuration, testing and remotely administering the Frame Relay/ATM network.
- Operates and manages the Video Server system for provision of video conference services to customers.
- Operates and manages layer 2/3 switches for provisioning of IP services to customers, including the remote management and maintenance of these systems, and management of customer IP addresses.
- Respond to IP abuse by subscribers and external ISP’s.
- Operates and manages the DSLAM, and BRAS systems for remote management of the Northwestel’s HSI service.
- Provides support to frontline personnel installing network upgrades to, and customer access to, frame relay/ATM/IP services, and to customers requiring LAN/WAN networking assistance, as applicable.
- Monitors and troubleshoots trunk, switch and core network router performance, and generates network and customer statistical reports utilizing management reporting systems.
- Participates in the design and implementation of improvements to frame relay/ATM/IP services, and to customer networks, as applicable.
- Assists in the development of standard procedures for the operations and maintenance of frame relay/ATM network/IP services, and creates and maintains documentation and paperwork associated with these services.
- Uses Northwestel’s corporate software programs (e.g. spreadsheets, databases, word processing, E‑mail, etc.).
- Demonstrates interpersonal and customer service skills, contributes to continuous improvement in the workplace, participates actively in a team environment, and is able to perform required duties without direct supervision.
- Participates actively in personal education and development.
- Protects the Company’s assets.
- May be required to perform work in shifts.
- Journeyman Technician in toll or switching craft; or four year's experience in data communications within the last eight years; or graduate of, at minimum, a two year communications, electronics or related program at a recognized technical institute.
- CCNA or JNCIA or BAIST or equivalent IP Network certification.
- Knowledge of SNMP, Frame Relay, ATM and TCP/IP concepts and protocols, and the ability to use standard computer word processing and database programs.
- Ability to analyse data and form conclusions using a wide variety of information sources.
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile.
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.