Halifax, NS, Canada Req #590
Saturday, April 13, 2019
Powered by state-of-the-art fibre optic and wireless networks, Eastlink delivers world-class video entertainment and communications services to residential, business and public sector customers across Canada. As one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 11 consecutive years, Eastlink provides high speed Internet, wireless, TV, telephone, security and automation, data communications and exclusive, locally-produced programming. Headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Eastlink is the largest privately owned telecommunications Company in Canada with an employee base of just over 1500 individuals.
Reporting to the National Manager of Transport Operations, the Network Transport Specialist will be part of a team responsible for the Operation, Administration, Maintenance and Provisioning of Eastlink’s transport network. The incumbent will be responsible for performing end to end support of hardware and software on our core, and edge transport services. The incumbent will work with various departments on special projects including the installation new components in the transport network to grow value added services for Eastlink’s customer base within Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Maintaining National Transport Networks.
- Performing hardware and software installation and upgrades on Cisco DWDM and Ciena Sonet platforms.
- Using trouble-shooting techniques to resolve problems on Eastlink’s National network.
- Working with the NOC and engaging vendor support on network troubles, providing 3rd level support.
- Working on special projects with other departments, including IT, Customer Solution Engineering, Transport and Switch Engineering to help facilitate Eastlink’s growing network.
- Implementation and support of voice edge and CPE equipment.
- Working with Transport Engineering, identifying and alleviating bandwidth and growth situations.
- You will provide leadership and direction when faced with network outages and provide excellent problem solving skills and techniques during outages.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Graduate of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or formal training in an Electronics/Electrical Program from a recognizable institution and/or relevant work experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the Telecom sector.
- Knowledge of Cisco DWDM Networks is essential.
- Knowledge of Ciena Sonet Networks is essential.
- Knowledge of Adtran product suite is essential.
- Experience with fiber OTDR methods is a benefit.
- Experience with DSX wiring, ISP fiber and Ethernet cabling is a benefit.
- Experience/training on a -48V DC Power system is a benefit.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networks, operation systems such as UNIX, Linux, as well as fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and Windows is preferred.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn and upgrade technical expertise
- Self-motivated and team player
- Ability to deal with internal peers and customers in a professional manner
- Timely restoration of outages.
- Work with Engineering on moves, additions, grooming, and network build out.
Eastlink brings you technology in a way that people would want it. We work hard to provide the best products – Internet, TV, Wireless, Telephone, and Security and Automation – to keep our customers connected to the things and people that matter the most. By putting our customers and their needs at the centre of it all we can show them something special and provide a unique brand experience.
We are extremely proud of our employees and believe the best people make the best companies. As we continue to grow, our goal is to continue to attract the best people.
Ready to explore an exciting career at Eastlink? Your journey begins here.