Division: Global News
Work Status: Full-time
About The Role
Corus Entertainment has an amazing opening for a Network Managing Editor on the Global News team responsible for overseeing the best news coverage in Canada every day. This role provides editorial direction to Global newsrooms across the country to both eliminate overlap in story selection and to ensure our coverage is as compelling as it can be. Based at Global News headquarters at 81 Barber Greene Road in Toronto, this position reports to the Director of Newsgathering.
- Coordinate editorial coverage for multiple platforms across the news organization, at both the local and network level
- Collaborate with local newsrooms, providing strong editorial direction on story treatment
- Generate unique and impactful story ideas for broadcast, online and radio on a frequent and regular basis
- Work with colleagues to develop hard-hitting stories using new and creative storytelling methods
- Vet reporter scripts for broadcast and online
- Develop editorial plans for future events
- Oversee handling of breaking news coverage on all platforms, including television, online, radio and social media
- Occasional shift work required, including evenings and weekends
What We Need From You:
- A minimum of 10 years of solid reporting and or producing experience in a major-market newsroom
- Proven leadership skills and management experience
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently in a busy environment with extreme deadline pressures
- Familiarity with TV production processes
- Familiarity with online content management systems as well as social media tools
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills that improve colleagues’ work under tight deadlines
- Proven ability to break news
- Ability to drive unique, original, enterprise journalism
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Self-starter who is able to take the initiative, develop compelling story ideas and oversee the production and publication of such stories
- Ability to mentor journalists with limited experience as well as veterans
- Deep knowledge of Canada and its regions preferably gained from living in various parts of the country
- Ability to travel on short notice on an infrequent basis
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by April 24, 2017.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.