Position Language Requirement Bilingual (English / French)
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) C B C
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Full-time
Behind the scenes, but ahead of the curve: help us develop the next-generation public broadcaster.
Created in 2015 to align, lighten and modernize infrastructure, the Media Technology and Infrastructure (MTIS) team is the backbone and the future forward arm of CBC/Radio-Canada. We are the people that make stuff work. We make connections; between media content, systems, people and places. We are the space in between.
A place with purpose. CBC/Radio-Canada has always been a highly-regarded pioneer of media technology. Not just in Canada, but around the world. Today, we’re transforming ourselves from conventional radio and television broadcaster into a modern digital media company. Technology is the driving force. MTIS is the team making it happen.
CBC/Radio-Canada is seeking a Network Analyst, Telecommunications to join the team in Toronto. This is an opportunity to step into Canada’s oldest and most respected broadcaster as a specialist focused on the implementation, maintenance, upgrade and support of the transport of audio and video across our private WAN; the LAN at all CBC facilities, Telephony, Security and Firewalls. A Network Analyst who wants to be a key player representing Telecommunications on operational projects that will impact the entire corporation such as virtualization; cloud migration; WAN routing and data centres. A Network Analyst who wants to step up as an escalation point and rapidly resolve broadcast issues, all of which are urgent.
Who you are and where are you now?
You are an experienced Network Analyst or System Administrator who wants to step into new challenges, escalated timelines and have the satisfaction of knowing your role is crucial to a successful media broadcast. You want to balance your work between Level 3 support and project work.
You want to be part of a continuously changing environment where special projects include providing onsite technical assistance at major global events such as the Olympics. You want to be part of a team that prioritizes maintaining a positive working atmosphere and empowers individuals to make decisions.
What’s in it for you?
Challenges. We spend our days solving problems on an unbelievable scale. Media files are highly nuanced and incredibly complicated; updating, installing and supporting technologies that are organization-wide and that impact broadcasting content is a time-sensitive, complex technical feat. And that’s just the beginning. This is an opportunity to work on:
- Network implementation, maintenance and support focused on WAN, LAN and cloud issues.
- Manage outages: Investigation; root cause analysis; communication; triage and escalation.
- Coordinate and support the work of junior team members.
- Maintain the infrastructure plan and documentation for the equipment comprising the Corporation’s entire IT network.
- Telecommunications system designs; peer reviews of proposed configuration suggestion and being part of the implementation of new systems. You will work closely with Engineering, Architecture and the client.
Be part of the change. Right now we are looking for people who can execute our strategy. Innovators who want to push future-forward thinking. Builders who want to be hands-on, building the next generation of media technology for CBC/Radio-Canada employees. We want to hear the ideas, see the designs and implement the innovations brought to us by our teams. You want to be part of a team actively transforming the workspace for every individual at CBC/Radio-Canada. Our priority is to proactively and in-the-moment solve problems and ensure the users can engage with new functionalities, new tools and conduct their day-to-day work seamlessly.
Cutting-edge tech. Data management. Cloud migration. IP for broadcast. AI. Security and reliability. The road ahead changes every day. By joining us now, you will become both pioneer and expert with a highly specialized, in-demand skill-set as you help us take steps towards the next frontier of media. While we will want you to stay, we know you will be able to go anywhere after this. As the official providers of technology to CBC/Radio-Canada, you will be joining the team that touches the latest technologies. You will have a chance to influence the choice and use of newer technologies and introduce changes to the processes.
Why join us?
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance. We offer a rare-in-tech work-life balance with an excellent benefits package and a pension plan noted as one of the best in the country; we want to ensure you are happy in and out of the office.
We are a dynamic, in-flux team less than 3 years old, brimming with potential. There’s a lot of exciting work ahead of us and while we aren’t there yet, we have a plan. Our focus is fulfilling our mandate to exceed audience expectations. We weigh our options, research, explore and evaluate. When we make a decision, we follow through with purpose. We don’t have one static future ahead of us, but a fluid set of options. This means a chance to be part of that change whether you are an idea generator or an executor.
What you bring
- The education. You have a degree or diploma in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field.
- The experience. You have a background using protocols and routing with expertise in providing network systems support specific to WAN/LAN issues. You have experience in Quality of Service (QoS). Data centres and cloud computing experience would be an advantage.
- The communication skills. You are skilled at presenting ideas, documenting processes and workflows and designing systems. You can relay your opinions with sensitivity. You know how to listen and you understand perspectives.
- The collaborative approach. You thrive in a team-focused environment. You can guide teams. You are focused on taking a hands-on role wherever and whenever needed.
- The relationship building finesse. You are empathetic and patient. You understand the customer perspective and your priority is providing rapid, stable solutions and support. You are guided by a sense of urgency. You can nurture strong two-way relationships with peers, partners, clients, staff, senior managers and external technological vendors.
- The analytical skills and the creativity. You can think through issues and innovate solutions. You are proactive and creative in your approach. You are a problem-solver, a researcher and a detail-oriented planner.
- The bridging capability. You work on the cutting edge of technology and pick up new tools quickly. You are aware of modern, best practices and you thrive in an Agile environment. You understand how to dig into issues, remove the roadblocks and present solutions both immediate and long term.
Think this job is meant for you but worried you don’t have it all? At CBC/Radio-Canada we know that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet 70% of the requirements we are seeking and you are excited by the possibility of growing our company, take a chance and express your interest here: https://bit.ly/2NypDts
As a leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and permeate all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.