The objective of the position of the Vice-President, Factual Development is to create
and source new ideas for projects from around the world that are consistent with the
mandate of the Factual Division, that meet broadcast needs (primarily in Canada, the
UK and US) that can be successfully put into funded development and/or ordered into
It is understood that you have the following required skills and education:
• Approximately ten years’ experience developing TV and other filmed
productions including extensive experience in the UK and US markets working
with key UK and US broadcasters, leading production companies and talent.
• Knowledge of broadcaster needs and extensive experience in unscripted
formats in the UK, Canada, the US and worldwide in genres including lifestyle,
history, science and reality.
• An ability to create new show ideas and contribute to the development of ideas
created internally or submitted by third parties that will sell domestically and
• Established relationships with creative professionals and others who may be a
source of new show ideas and can contribute to the process in other ways in
the UK, Canada and elsewhere.
• High level writing skills and the ability to write compelling documents that will
inspire broadcasters and help them see the potential in our show ideas.
• An ability to supervise the high level execution of sizzle reels required to sell
concepts into development and/or production.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to coordinate and manage a variety of
• A clear understanding of the structure of unscripted, scripted and formatted
shows and a proven track record creating shows in both unscripted and scripted
format that have been successful in multiple territories.
• A strong knowledge of (and/or demonstrated ability to learn) thresholds for
production and development financing (e.g. CMF, OMDC, CAVCO, CRTC, etc.)
and market costs for services and products required.
• A clear understanding of the US and UK market and buyers.
• The demonstrated ability to expand the slate of buyers to include the US and
• Solid broadcaster relationships.
• Excellent pitching skills at in-person broadcaster meetings. Willingness to
travel to the UK and US regularly to pitch programs.
• Experience in the preparation and management of development targets and
internal budgets for the development team.
• Experience creating development budgets and accessing all development
• Experience creating series budgets and finance structures for the full
• Strong research skills.
• Production experience.
• University degree or college diploma in communications, broadcasting,
journalism or other arts discipline.
Key responsibility areas:
• Originate and develop new program ideas in concert with the Factual
Development team and help select the best projects to move forward in the
Canadian, US and/or UK markets.
• Locate/access program ideas from third parties in Canada or elsewhere.
• Analyze new program submissions and prepare recommendations on further
development or production.
• Prepare compelling and engaging pitch documents, treatments and all other
materials required for development of projects, including writing, formatting,
adding graphics and images, creating sizzle or demo reels, etc.
• Lead in the setting of targets for the development department for the year and
the budget to achieve those goals.
• Meet regularly with potential broadcasters, co-producers and other third
parties in consultation with other staff and members of the development team
regarding new projects and projects in development.
• Work with the development team to provide detailed information for weekly
reports for circulation.
• Identify and take steps necessary to access a variety of development funding
sources including preparing funding applications and all required
• In consultation with the production department, develop budgets for
development and production and create corresponding finance structures.
• Organize the development team and other executives for pitching at markets
and conferences including recommending the right people to meet and the
projects to be discussed, ensuring requests for meetings go out on a timely
basis and ensuring that all written materials are ready for these and any other
• Take all steps necessary to advance projects through development to a
production order and facilitate the smooth handover of these projects to the
Compensation Package: This is a permanent full time position, that carries a salary
range of $127,500 to $172,500 per year and includes extended health benefits, health
spending account, term, critical life, and disability insurance benefits. Location of
work is based at Frantic Films, 100-46 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, ON M5V 2H8.
Reply in confidence: If this is a business challenge you would enjoy, please forward a
covering email and CV, to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Vice-President, Factual
Development” in the subject header. We thank all candidates for their submissions.
Only those under consideration will be contacted. Inquiries are welcome at
416.533.6788. Deadline for submissions is Friday, December 19th, 2014.