Cogeco Connexion (www.cogeco.ca) regroups the Canadian cable operations of Cogeco Communications Inc. Cogeco Connexion is the second largest cable operator in Ontario and Québec in terms of the number of basic cable service customers served. It provides its residential and small business customers with video, Internet and telephony services through its two-way broadband fibre rich network. Cogeco Communications Inc. is a communications corporation and is the 11th largest hybrid fibre coaxial cable operator in North America operating in Canada under the Cogeco Connexion brand name in Québec and Ontario, and in the United States through its subsidiary Atlantic Broadband in western Pennsylvania, south Florida, Maryland/Delaware, South Carolina and eastern Connecticut. Through Cogeco Peer 1, Cogeco Communications Inc. provides its business customers with a suite of information technology services (colocation, network connectivity, managed hosting, cloud services and managed IT services), through its 21 data centres, extensive FastFiber NetworkTM and more than 50 points-of-presence in North America and Europe. Cogeco Communications Inc.’s subordinate voting shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: CCA).
POSITION NAME: Manager Programming and Community Relations
STATUS: Permanent Full Time
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
HOW TO APPLY: Email Resume and Cover Letter to, firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with established procedures, policies, and available tools, this key programming role is responsible for Programming and Community Relations operations of the resident system, including staff development, program creation, and local relations and promotions. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring that all activities meet legal requirements, company goals and community needs and works in support of the department business plan, Key Performance Indicators, operational standards, and company objectives.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and supervising the Programming & Community Relations team including:
- Responsible for the performance management of direct reports. Ensures employees are aware of responsibilities and sufficiently prepared to fulfill them according to department expectations. Builds, motivates, and leads a collaborative, cooperative, results-oriented team.
- Ensure that department operations meet all regulatory and legal requirements and that all staff and volunteers are fully aware of these requirements and their obligations as stated within the Broadcasting Act, CRTC Regulations, Copyright, Libel and Slander Laws.
- Channel: Responsible for the channel content, scheduling, quality and overall look – ensuring that it complies with our department standards. Ensures web and social media sites are updated regularly and that content for the site is a priority.
- Production: Actively participates in production.
- Training: Identifies all opportunities for training, establishing a positive environment for staff and volunteers to learn and grow in their roles. Provides coaching and training for crew, including staff, volunteers, coop students and community members, to ensure that they can adequately perform their roles.
- Volunteers: Build a strong volunteer program through recruitment and retention. Recognizes contribution and rewards involvement of volunteer corps. Promotes volunteerism in the system.
- Safety: Ensures all company and industry safety standards are met. Promotes safe working practices. Completes necessary forms and reports deficiencies or occurrences immediately. Stays current with all necessary safety training and ensures employees are fully trained and compliant.
- Administration: Maintains accurate records, prepares reports and justifies/explains results (ex: meeting minutes, monthly production reports, CRTC Logs, Sponsorship and Contra agreements, Statistics Canada reports). Coordinates weekly production meetings.
- Branding: Ensures consistent application of Company image, logo and identification as per the Company standards and promotes positive image of Cogeco through all production and community relations activities.
- Community Relations: Ensures media, public, customer inquiries are forwarded to Director and relevant company representatives. Solicits local partnerships and sponsorship opportunities.
- Budget: Responsible for managing operational budget.
- Assists with special projects, and performs other duties as required.
- Incumbent must set annual objectives for employees under his/her supervision, review them based on any new operational requirements, and administer the Performance Management process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Television broadcasting or related discipline required.
- Minimum 8 years television experience in production environment. Familiar with digital and non-linear workflow. Experience with live and post production television and studio and mobile environments. Familiar with copyright and regulatory framework.
- 2-3 yrs. experience in a leadership role required.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Developed troubleshooting, coaching, problem solving, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills to effectively resolve employee/customer issues.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills along with strong decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high performance teams.
- Results oriented with proven management and leadership abilities to effectively meet KPI’s, quality, and service objectives. Strong sense of ownership.
- Strong computer skills.
- Open minded and willing to consider and evaluate alternatives. Team oriented, customer focused and professional.
- Self motivated. Takes initiative in identifying and resolving problems independently while still recognizing the impact on others. Monitors own work for quality.
- Ability to work with conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong customer focus (internal and external).
- Detail oriented, with attention to quality and accuracy including good organizational skills.
- Good decision making skills in line with established policies and procedures in a timely manner regarding own work.
- Working knowledge of popular social media tools and be able to incorporate into the strategic goals of the Company
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND VISUAL ACUITY
At Cogeco, diversity is an essential asset to our organization’s performance. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all qualified individuals, regardless of cultural and individual differences. We strive to build teams which reflects the diverse profiles and backgrounds of both the customers and communities we serve, firmly believing that this distinguishes Cogeco from competitors and contributes to our signature of excellence.