Find opportunity and adventure in Canada’s North.
At Northwestel, we're driven by a common vision of a highly connected North where every Northern Canadian can prosper and thrive. We're getting there by delivering the most innovative communications solutions for the North.
Join the Northwestel team and enjoy a unique balance of rewarding work and the extraordinary lifestyle that awaits you and your family in the North!
We know there’s more to your decision about where you work than just the work itself. Along with a professional and fulfilling work environment, you’ll enjoy competitive pay, team incentive plan, comprehensive benefit program and a commitment to ongoing professional development.
Discover the North by Northwestel, meet our people, and hear their stories on our website or on Instagram(northbynwtel).
Manager, Network Planning
Applications are now being accepted for a full-time position of Manager, Network Planning located in Whitehorse, YT.
The Manager, Network Planning is responsible for establishing Northwestel's network investment plans so that they align with and enable the company's strategic direction and long-term goals with respect to revenue, marketing of new products, technology adoption, network optimization and customer satisfaction. Working closely with the Senior Managers, and various Business Unit leaders as required, the Manager, Network Planning will insure technology plans reflect timing and capability requirements of the business.
In addition to establishing mid-range and long range (3 year and 5 year) network technology and evolution plans, this position will provide:
- A 1-year network implementation plan that has the necessary capital allocated and for implementation by the design and implementation teams.
- Comprehensive list of standards and approved technology choices that will be used by the design and implementation teams.
Business Planning (80%)
- Develops mid-range and long- range network plans to support and align with Northwestel’s strategic direction (including its subsidiaries).
- Develops plans including descriptions of the underlying business need and solution, as well as a high level estimated plan that includes resourcing, cost, timeline, and business value.
- Assesses technological business needs on a case by case basis, provide high level estimates of technology solutions and utilize that assessment to develop business cases for technological solutions.
- Maintains technology menu through approving devices for specific applications including IOS versions and levels; chairing the technology committee; and maintain, support and enforce technology approval process.
- Develops and monitor the capital plan, which has a 4-year view and is required to enable the mid-range network plans and the 12-month implementation plan.
- Contributes to strategic planning process and planning phases of technology projects in the organization.
- Provides architecture and technology direction to all network related projects to ensure consistency and support of the mid and long range plans.
Capacity and Availability Management (10%)
- Responsible for managing capacity and availability of assets to ensure planners have information to develop technology business plans.
- Provides support through Incident Management including assisting in resolution of any escalated incidents and resolution of reoccurring incidents or problems with the current network.
- Manages lifecycle of various assets including active monitoring of asset utilization, capacity tracking, optimization and repurposing and release management including patching and configuration.
- Creates proposed network designs for review and consideration; creating detailed circuit orders based on network designs and documenting any “as-built” network construction.
- Designs and develops detailed plans according to company standards for capital projects including unit testing & exception handling, developing installation specifications and detailed cost estimates including support packages consisting of support procedures, training, spares and vendor support.
- Provides third level technical support to various projects and areas of the organization
- Participates in ITIL change management including: Submittal of Requests For Change including Methods of Procedures and Roll Back plans for Network Changes associated with project work and participation in Change Advisory Board meetings as Subject Matter Experts.
- Participates in the Health & Safety program by working in compliance with OH&S Acts and Regulations, completing required training and reporting immediately to your Supervisor or Workplace H & S Committee member any work-related hazards and concerns.
Engineering degree required with a broad knowledge of the telecommunications industry. A Professional Engineering designation would be considered a strong asset. A minimum of 5 years practical experience in one or more of the subject areas of switching, transmission, data or access, with an understanding of specific applications of telecommunications network technologies is required for this position. In addition, incumbents must possess strong computer literacy, project planning, interpersonal and teamwork skills. Strong knowledge of signalling protocols such as SIP, data protocols, routing, as well as switching and transport architectures is required. Windows and Linux familiarity and scripting skills would be considered an asset. Business acumen, a "solution" orientation, and insight into the financial/economic aspects of the telecommunications industry are a definite asset. Experience with SAP is considered an asset. Previous participation in organizational health and safety and/or knowledge of H&S regulations in Canada, will be considered an asset.
What we offer you:
- Health Benefits
- Team Incentive Bonus
- Paid Vacation with a Vacation Travel Allowance
- Northern Living Allowance (depending on location)
- Work-Life Balance
- Community Involvement
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.