A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
We have an exciting 14-month opportunity in our finance team for a Manager, Internal Controls. This critical leadership position will report to the Director of Financial Reporting & Internal Controls and oversee the framework and certification for internal controls over financial reporting & disclosures (SOX certification). The Manager, Internal Controls will be a proactive member of the finance team and will play an integral role in maintaining and supporting the integrity and effectiveness of the Company’s control environment. The position will provide compliance support and training across the organization as well as assist with the preparation and review of the governing policies and procedures.
This position will appeal to an individual seeking a fast-paced, team environment that offers breadth of influence and a connection to the rest of the organization.
A typical day
• On behalf of management, lead the process of certifying internal controls over financial reporting and disclosure controls and procedures (SOX certification)
• Ensure best in class controls are embedded in each process area, including effective control design addressing the key risks to the business
• Responsible for advising business process owners on developing SOX ready documentation, narratives, flow charts, and control descriptions
• Partner with process and control owners to remediate control deficiencies
• Report SOX results/initiatives and prepare materials for updating senior management and Audit Committee
• Overall accountability and sustainment of the Governance, Risk Management & Compliance tool used for document retention and certification process
• Execute annual financial statement risk assessment in coordination with senior management and Internal Audit & Advisory department
• Key participant in developing the annual risk-based audit plan with Internal Audit & Advisory team and the external auditor
• Responsible for ongoing communication and collaboration with Internal Audit & Advisory team and the external auditor to address key risks to the business
• Consult and provide thought leadership on best practices in governance, process efficiency and improvement, and control effectiveness
• Key participant in planning and executing ad-hoc Internal Controls projects
• Developing reports and presenting to senior management and the Audit Committee to communicate outcomes of engagements in a constructive and concise manner
• Make recommendations that add value, ensuring maximum payback to the organization
• Providing leadership and hands-on coaching to Internal Controls team
• Coaching and developing a team of process and control owners with a range of internal control experience
• Developing and drafting key policies, procedures and guidelines
• Professional accounting designation (e.g., Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Public Accountant, etc)
• Minimum of eight years of professional experience, with at least three years of leadership experience
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in a variety of situations and to tailor that communication, by adjusting style, method and tools, to the needs of the audience
• Partnership approach to improve governance and controls, working collaboratively across the organization with excellent ability to translate risk and IT concepts into business language
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems both independently and collaboratively
• Outstanding organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to work productively and with a positive attitude in a fast-paced, often ambiguous environment, with multiple and changing priorities
• Strong leadership capabilities, viewed as a mentor in the Internal Controls team, Finance department and throughout the organization
• Self-motivated: Deliver under pressure while maintaining high standards of excellence and attention to detail
• Hands-on experience with Microsoft products, including Visio and Sharepoint
• Experience in the Technology or Telecommunications industry is considered an asset
• Experience with IT Audit and/or IT General and Application Controls is considered an asset
• Previous experience with GRC tools and Oracle is considered an asset
• Previous experience with project management tools and/or methods is considered an asset
• This role is located at our head office in Calgary although work from home/remote work arrangements may be required in response to the Covid-19 pandemic
• This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check
Posting closing date:October 22, 2020
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.