This competition is open until filled, however, the first review date is: February 4th, 2019.
Applications are now being accepted for a permanent, full-time position of Manager, Configuration Management - Emerging Technologies located either in Whitehorse, YT or Yellowknife, NT.
The Manager Configuration Management is responsible for managing and optimizing the usage of Northwestel’s infrastructure resources including: capacity management, optimizing system performance and providing configuration intelligence to assist in proactively ensuring that adequate network and OSS (Operational Support Systems) capacity is provided for current and future needs.
In addition, this position provides technical support to ensure network needs are: technically feasible, promptly and accurately addressed, tracked and planned through the close interface with Planning with input from Operations and all known business requirements.
This position is specifically responsible for the infrastructure that supports Northwestel’s IP Services. The following accountabilities relate specifically to routing and switching infrastructure:
- Plan and manage port capacity for the elements in the DSL data network. Review traffic engineering recommendations, network deployment plans, and DSLAM growth requests.
- Creating and managing various implementation projects including capital budget management, network conversion, infrastructure cutover coordination, milestone tracking and reporting.
- Participates in design reviews and provides input into cutover plans.
- Provide technical support with customers to identify needs and forecast future requirements. As well, provide technical support to field technicians as required.
- Capacity requirement tracking and capacity needs reporting to Planning.
- Proactively support the management of operational problems through to solution, thus ensuring optimum utilization and performance of assets.
- Predicting and reporting assets replacement requirements based on age, ROI, capacity etc. – this includes ensuring that records are maintained for the various elements of the network to ensure accurate information is maintained for Planning dept, CRTC filings and capacity tracking.
- Release Management, including patch management (or) coordination of patches.
- Change management (overall coordination of change) on the assets being monitored.
The position is responsible for network management by keeping track of consumables and providing timely reports to Planning and Implementation to ensure networks are always fully optimized.
Working in a proactive team environment to provide timely overall asset conditions this position is a mix of creative and innovative approaches and technical skills. This position must be capable of adapting modern telecommunication and system demands to Northwestel's existing network, formulating alternative plans, and educating customers.
This position requires an Engineering degree with five years’ experience or Diploma with 8 years’ experience in the telecommunications/systems environment. CCNA and CCNP or Juniper equivalent level certification required. Candidates without CCNP level certification will be expected to achieve certification within a negotiated timeframe. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset.
The incumbent requires excellent analytical, system performance gathering skills to determine root cause quantification. In addition, the incumbent must have working knowledge of project management skills for effective cutover and release management of the various systems and possess including scheduling, resourcing, costing, risk management, communications and reporting. Leadership skills and with proven ability to manage cross functional project teams and complex technical issues. Ability to work under pressure with multiple conflicting priorities.
- Strong knowledge of SONET, xWDM, Microwave transport and fiber optic system design principles.
- Advanced knowledge of PON architectures, DSL technology (ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2, Vectoring), Network Design Specifications.
- Strong knowledge of CPE equipment (modems, ONU/ONT).
- Advanced knowledge of IP and routing protocols (OSPF, BGP).
- Familiarity with MPLS, L2-VPNS, VPLS, SNMP, VLANS, STP.
- Strong knowledge of Juniper MX routers (BNG), Ericsson Smart Edge, Tellabs Access Network and Dasan Zhone MSAN.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products, SAP.
- Understanding of the elements of network security (firewalls, ACL etc.) and network management and monitoring and AAA protocols (SNMP, RMON, RADIUS).
As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.