Reporting to the Director - Finance & Accounting, this position is responsible for the preparation and distribution of timely, accurate and appropriate financial information to facilitate executive decision making and to fulfil statutory requirements. This position provides advice and counsel to line supervisors and management in the interpretation and submission of data relating to results, cost centre control and purchase management. This position is accountable for ensuring that financial transactions are accurately accounted for and the financial system is appropriately maintained. In addition, this position is a member of the Finance Leadership Team that supports the overall finance team in problem solving and provides back up for other Managers and Staff when necessary.
This position has the following direct reports:
- Financial Analysts
- Accounting Clerks
- Leadership, mentoring and coaching of the accounting team. This includes conducting performance evaluations, cross training, and individual developmental plans.
- Oversight of financial accounting within the organization.
- Monitoring and assisting with accounting policy development and compliance.
- Provide, monthly, quarterly and annual management information to various internal stakeholders of Northwestel and its subsidiaries, through reports, training, counsel and troubleshooting, to ensure that decisions are made effectively and strategically, based on the most accurate and appropriate information possible.
- Investigate methods to safeguard assets of Northwestel by monitoring and improving accounting controls and ensuring both external and internal audit requirements are met while ensuring compliance with any regulatory agency. Ensure that all Capital Assets are recorded properly and list for Assets Under Construction is evaluated periodically.
- Improve work processes involved in preparing financial information through the maintenance and continual improvement of financial reporting and analysis systems, preparing templates and identifying and resolving problems.
- Assist managers and directors with analyzing business segments to determine margins, and facilitate more accurate understanding of the finances of the business in order to anticipate competitive pressures.
- Interface with Bell Canada on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree complemented by a C.P.A. accounting designation (or enrolled and working towards designation) with a minimum of five (5) years appropriate and applicable work experience. The incumbent must have at least two (2) years of staff management experience at the professional level. The individual must be well versed in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), as well as other technical aspects of accounting and corporate taxation. The incumbent should be proficient with accounting systems and processes, preferably with the SAP financial system. This person must be an excellent negotiator, problem solver, relationship builder and strategic thinker. Strong analytical, planning, communication (oral, written and presentation), staff management and interpersonal skills are critical. Knowledge of the telecommunications industry would be an asset.
External contacts include interfacing with Bell companies, external auditors if required and with specific monthly and quarterly reporting to Bell Canada and various Government agencies to ensure compliance with regulations.
Internal contacts for accounting include providing information and direction regarding financial accounting, analysis and decision making to other finance professionals, line supervisors, and senior management. Internal contacts include IS for SAP systems issues, outstanding invoices or general information.
TYPICAL PROBLEM SOLVING
For financial accounting purposes, this position is challenged to work within the constraints of International Financial Reporting Standards, while searching for creative ways to ensure that Northwestel can take advantage of opportunities to plan for income tax, plan amortization, depreciation, etc. This position must continue to improve workflow and processes and deliver excellent service to employees.
The position requires frequent and extended periods in front of a computer monitor and is subject to weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end deadlines, which must be met. In addition, the position is responsible for ensuring that data provided is accurate and complete, as an error in reporting can result in an inappropriate decision or missed opportunity. This position must ensure that the SAP system stays current, accurate and well integrated.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
Appy Here : https://www.nwtel.ca/about-us/work-us