Job id: 11833
Division: News online
Work Status: full-time permanent
Location: Barrie, Ontario
About the Role
Reporting to the Ontario Online Manger, you will be responsible for creating and coordinating local stories for the Barrie area for Globalnews.ca and various sections and sub-sites across Canada. You will be expected to produce compelling web and multi-platform content, including text-based articles, video and interactive online features. You will also be expected to assist Globalnews.ca in reaching traffic goals, increasing user engagement and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including web developers and programmers, digital project management teams and usability experts. The position will be based in Barrie, Ontario.
- Planning and creating compelling and original multi-media web stories, including local breaking news, long-form written features, photo-, audio- and video-based features as well as interactive features.
- Making local stories relevant to wider audiences.
- Developing and maintaining sources to aid in creating original, contextual stories.
- Repurpose wire copy (CP and otherwise) for search engine optimization.
- Engage audiences through various social media platforms.
- Liaising with various digital and broadcast teams, including web producers, news directors, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals, as well as third-party content providers, to facilitate the creation of unique online content.
- Liaising with digital project managers, online production artists, web developers and web designers to deliver timely site developments and special projects.
- Working to ensure special projects are accurately scoped, resourced and budgeted.
- Working to explore new methods of converging online, radio and TV content to create a seamless experience for our audience.
- Utilizing specific online tools: content management system (WordPress), photo database (CP, AP, Reuters, Getty) wire news service interface (AP ENPS), interactive curation tool, newsletter tools, interactive polling software and liveblogging tools.
- Staying informed of local Barrie and province-wide news.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- At least 2 years experience in developing online content.
- At least 2 years experience in managing and delivering multiple projects on time and on budget.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and substantive editing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress CMS.
- Strong working knowledge of multimedia tools, including Adobe Creative Suite and Photoshop.
- Strong working knowledge of digital production techniques, including online information architecture, digital project management, video encoding and distribution, and organic story creation.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, audio, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- A strong social media presence is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- Experience working in broadcast news (TV and/or radio), and in a digital newsroom environment, is an asset.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news — everything from local, national, international events to politics, pop culture, sports — as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media. Experience in writing and reporting on personal finance, business and consumer issues an asset.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for online journalism and reporting on local issues. You wake up in the middle of the night with good ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalBarrie@globalnews.ca. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.