Division: Accessibility Services
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About the Role:
Working on a team to cover a variety of shifts which vary between morning starts as early as 4am, as well as shifts that start as late as 4pm and go past midnight, live closed captioners provide accurate, reliable live closed captions for live programs airing coast-to-coast on Corus entertainment’s Global stations, as well as others within Corus Entertainment’s Quay Media Services division. Reporting to the live Closed Captioning Supervisor, this role demands punctuality, reliability, and a firm commitment to the importance of news broadcasting and live closed captioning.
- Stay up-to-date with all forms of news and arrive before events to research and prepare.
- Stay up-to-date with all possible weather or travel issues that could impact commute time and adjust routines regularly to ensure punctuality & reliability for live events.
- Provide live closed captioning via respeak technology for on-air broadcast events.
- Prior live closed captioning experience is an asset.
- Constantly refine respeak techniques to achieve 98% or higher NER scoring accuracy.
- Respeak audio listened to for hours without losing focus and attention to detail.
- Report any potential illness that could impact a future broadcast event to Supervisor at the earliest sign of potential problem to give supervisor as much time as possible to plan for any possible unscheduled absence.
- Potential for weekend & holiday work requirements.
- Interact in a positive and constructive manner with co-workers.
- Have the ability to work in a team environment or independently while being flexible and open to learning new experiences in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos.
- Respeaking transcriptions and contributing to offline closed captioning workflow as required between live events.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Need From You:
- Excellent English spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- College Diploma or University Degree.
- Ability to punctuate in real-time during situations where speakers are speaking rapidly.
- A minimum of 99% verbatim transcription ability from audio-only sources in an offline situation.
- Previous closed captioning, live closed captioning, court reporting, transcription, respeaking or on-air journalism experience from a recognized company.
- Previous experience working events considered an asset.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts as required, including early mornings, late nights, possible weekends, and occasional statutory holidays.
- Experience with Dragon Naturally speaking considered an asset.
- A clear speaking voice with terrific enunciation skill.
- Strong ability to comprehend dialogue spoken in real time under less than ideal audio situations.
- Ability to stay calm, manage stress, and make sound decisions during consistent deadline pressures and breaking news changes.
- Detail-oriented and highly reliable. You are never late because you always anticipate possible delays and adjust your schedule accordingly.
- Commitment to the live closed captioning team and to news broadcasting to the extent where all potential signs of illness experienced are reported to the Supervisor immediately in order to plan for any possible backup requirements later.
- Ability to commute into office reliably as early as 4:00am, or to stay as late as 12:30am, depending on schedule.
- French language writing, respeaking, and proofreading ability seen as a considerable asset.
- Technical proficiency with basic audio path design and to engage with and troubleshoot basic sound mixers.
- Strong memory for different setup requirements unique to job-to-job.
- Updating your voice profile daily to constantly improve quality and reduce delays.
- Basic working knowledge with Computers and MS Office Suites.
- Ability to help department as required on respeak transcripts or offline closed captioning files between live events.
How to Apply
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 1, 2019.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.