Job Type: Temporary 8 month contract, full-time, with benefits
Duration of Contract: December 1, 2020 – August 1, 2021
Salary: starting at $79,000 – $85,000 per year
At the CCTS, our mandate is to review and resolve telecommunications and television complaints after interaction between the customer and their service provider has failed to produce a satisfactory outcome. The CCTS provides a free and impartial service to customers of approximately 253 Participating Service Providers (“PSPs”), represented by over 350 customer-facing brands.
We represent an organization of unbiased, fair and highly dedicated professionals who understand the needs of disputing parties, and who diligently investigate and work towards resolutions that reflect and respect the needs of both parties.
Located in our nation’s beautiful capital, the CCTS is a dynamic and growing organization that highly values its people. We foster a workplace that is supportive and emphasizes the importance of work-life balance. We strongly believe in supporting the growth and development of our employees, who come from varied personal and professional backgrounds.
The environment is welcoming, collegial, collaborative and team-oriented.
As Legal Counsel, you would be responsible for many of the daily legal needs of the organization, and for supporting the regulatory affairs function within CCTS.
• Developing and maintaining legal function within CCTS, including providing advice on day-to-day legal matters, assessing and responding to risk (e.g. litigation threats, privacy breaches) and handling discreet legal issues (e.g. employment matters, litigation)
• Advising on matters of interpretation in respect of CCTS constating documents, including the CCTS’s bylaws and Participation Agreement
• Completing regular reporting as required (for example, the Quarterly Risk Report)
• Ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, including employment standards, health and safety requirements, privacy/data retention, and accessibility/AODA requirements)
• Providing advice on Procedural Code interpretations
• Supporting the regulatory affairs function of CCTS (for example, monitoring, participating and responding to CRTC proceedings and decisions, analysis of relevant consumer protection measures)
• Reviewing and approving confirmed breaches of the CRTC Codes of Conduct
Compliance & Stakeholder Affairs Responsibilities
• Providing advice and direction on difficult compliance and stakeholder matters
• Supervising the preparation of the annual Compliance Monitoring Report
Leadership and HR Responsibilities and Functions
• Supporting the legal student internship program
• Managing and leading the regulatory and compliance teams
• Assisting with other duties that may be assigned from time to time
You should apply if:
• You have your Juris Doctor or Bachelor of Laws and you have been Called to the Bar in a Canadian Jurisdiction
• You have a minimum of two years post-call experience practicing law, with experience in contract law, employment law, privacy law, communications law, and insurance law
• You’re a master multi-tasker, and you have the ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously (and sometimes with competing priority levels and deadlines).
• You are fluent in English, with excellent written and oral communications skills.
• You have experience working with Board of Directors
Our ideal candidate is a knowledgeable and proactive legal professional, with a keen eye for detail. They are experienced and confident when it comes to completing research and providing decisive and sound advice. They work with a high degree of accuracy, and display strong ethics and integrity in all professional functions.
If you are an analytical and detail-oriented team-player who meets the qualifications listed above, we want to hear from you!
Interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who will be selected for testing and an interview will be contacted.
CCTS will make every reasonable effort to accommodate prospective candidates under any of the protected grounds of discrimination. Should you need an accommodation in relation to a job opportunity or testing, please make the request as soon as possible. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity. Information received in relation to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.