Blue Ant Media is a privately held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. We own and operate numerous production companies in North America and Asia-Pacific under the Blue Ant Studios banner, creating content for broadcasters and streaming platforms in multiple genres including factual entertainment, natural history, documentary, adult animation and drama. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a substantial catalogue of content, including one of the world’s largest 4K natural history offerings. Blue Ant Media operates channels under nine brands including Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel Canada, BBC Earth (Canada) and more. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with seven international offices in Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Tokyo, London, Washington and Beijing. Blueantmedia.com
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
The Legal and Business Affairs team in our Toronto office is looking for a new Legal Counsel. Reporting to the Director, Legal & Business Affairs, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing legal and business affairs counsel to Blue Ant Media’s various business units with a focus on its international distribution and global networks channel businesses.
Legal and business affairs experience in content licensing/distribution and channel distribution is imperative. The successful candidate should also be a creative problem solver with the ability to manage competing interests and multiple deadlines.
Core Responsibilities & Duties
• Advising on, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal agreements in content licensing/distribution and channel distribution
• Managing all aspects of those matters, including advising on strategy and deal structure from term sheet through execution of agreement
• Organizing and managing deal flow
• Working with content producers, distributors, broadcasters, and platform operators to finalize content licensing/distribution and global networks channel agreements
Key Qualifications & Experience
• A law degree from a recognized institution and are a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
• 2 to 3 years of relevant experience and working knowledge in television industry, including content licensing/distribution and channel distribution and associated legal agreements
• Experience with liaising and partnering with several executives across multiple departmental functions
• Exceptional communication, negotiation, conceptual thinking, analytical and problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Excellent ability to prioritize and manage competing deadlines and interested and manage multiple projects simultaneously
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.