Position Language Requirement Bilingual (English / French)
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) C B C
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Full-time
What it’s like working at Radio-Canada Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean
Our mission is to create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry. Interested in content delivered online, behind the mic or in front of the camera? Here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to viewers, listeners, and digital citizens. The Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean region offers an attractive quality of life.
We are currently looking for a reporter with solid digital skills able to take a multiplatform approach to media coverage and production.
Reporting to the Information Manager of Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, French Services, (Digital services, Radio, TV), you produce news in appropriate formats for all of our platforms. You write copy and produce reports for the various news platforms, in line with corporate standards and policies.
You could be assigned to a multi-skilling project. If so, you would perform the duties of a Regional Line-up Editor.
Schedule for this assignment: Monday to Friday, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. However, the schedule may be modified and is dependent on production needs.
More specific duties are as follows:
- You have strong writing skills and original approach to storytelling.
- You are curious about new digital formats and look for opportunities to use them.
- Keep up with current events by consulting various sources.
- Very good knowledge of the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area.
- Establish and maintain contact with different sources.
- Propose and receive topics for news stories, reports, interviews and projects.
- Research, gather, evaluate and verify all elements of the topic being covered.
- Plan documents or reports around the story to be told and its format. Conduct interviews, assess their relevance, and select the appropriate clips.
- Use all digital tools at your disposal to integrate elements (text, graphics, audio, video, images and/or interactive material) to achieve functionalities defined by project leaders.
- Produce visual content (photos, illustrations, icons, etc.) tailored to the interface (multiscreen), following CBC/Radio-Canada branding guidelines.
- Process, handle and digitize various file sources.
- Decide on story angles.
- Script, edit and narrate reports.
- Draft copy specific to different platforms (TV, radio web).
- Convey information through various means (news copy, clips, features, reports, interviews, etc.).
- Deliver on-air reports.
- Inform newsroom management of any event that warrants a news flash or special coverage.
- Ensure the availability of the resources required to produce your reports, in agreement with the editorial manager on duty.
- Drive a news vehicle as needed.
- Carry out all other related tasks as needed.
You are responsible for updating your resumé and highlighting the skills and qualifications required for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Three (3) years of experience in journalism or the equivalent.
- Extensive general knowledge.
- Excellent knowledge of current events.
- Solid command of communication techniques specific to the medium, as well as interview techniques.
- Knowledge of video and editing techniques.
- Familiarity with CBC/Radio-Canada Journalistic Standards and Practices.
- In-depth knowledge of content management tools such as WordPress, Scoop (Radio-Canada’s in-house tool) and iNews.
- Good knowledge of image management systems like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom.
- Good knowledge of audio/video management systems like Avid NewsCutter, Dalet Plus, and Media Central.
- Solid command of social media management systems like TweetDeck and Hootsuite.
- Must possess a valid driver`s license as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada's insurance company.
- Fluency in the working language (French).
- Advanced oral proficiency, intermediate writing proficiency and advanced reading proficiency in English.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.