Do extraordinary things: Choose the North!
What does it mean to work for the premier communication solutions provider in the North? It’s working in Canada’s pristine and unique North with the best and brightest. At Northwestel, our employees work every day to deliver innovative solutions for more than 120,000 customers living in an area almost the size of the European Union or four million square kilometres. It’s doing extraordinary things and getting rewarded. It’s the thrill of working hard, the joy of working together and access to the extraordinary adventures that lie in the North.
IT Security Analyst
Applications are now being accepted for a full-time position of IT Security Analyst located in Whitehorse, YT.
The IT Security Analyst, reporting to the, IT Security Architect is responsible for protecting Northwestel’s IT assets from security breaches which could lead to data loss or service interruptions. This is accomplished by performing device management, configuration changes, monitoring and troubleshooting for security devices such as firewalls, SEIM system (Security Event and Incident Management), VPN devices, host intrusion prevention appliances, anti-virus, anti-spam appliances, and data loss prevention infrastructure. IT security analysts are expected to stay up-to-date on the latest intelligence, including hackers’ methodologies, in order to anticipate security breaches.
The IT Security Analyst must understand the diverse security infrastructure that supports Northwestel’s business and be able to differentiate and respond to the unique operational and security requirements. Have a comprehensive knowledge of both technical and operational network security best practices and significant experience in a wide variety of technology platforms and security services that Northwestel supports. The IT Security Analyst must identify and compare technological capabilities that are required to support a particular security service, and identify technological gaps where more development is needed.
- Monitors, reviews, and interprets security alerts and notifications and provides initial response, analysis, and incident management.
- Assesses and establishes mitigation steps to ensure appropriate incident treatment and informs, IT Security Architect, Corporate Security and Northwestel management as appropriate.
- Manages a variety of security devices such as VPN, firewall, SEIM system, host intrusion prevention systems, identity and access programs, data loss prevention systems, anti-virus, and anti-spam systems.
- Configures and maintains security devices and appliances as well as provides general knowledge and recommendations for security best practices to Northwestel, as required.
- Adheres to strict security and associated authentication protocols when dealing with all levels of security requests.
- Creates, updates, and maintains documentation related to security assets, controls, incidents and breaches.
- Compiles, analyzes and makes decisions based on metrics from security devices.
- Reports security metrics to IT Security Architect for presentation to Northwestel management and or Corporate Security when required.
- Available for call outs after normal business hours in the event of a security incident.
This position requires a degree or diploma in Computer Network Systems and five years of information systems experience. A strong working knowledge of security operational policies, procedures and the ability to interpret SIEM alerts and supporting technologies is required. The Security Analyst must also have working knowledge of risk assessment methods as it relates to vulnerability management.
Understanding of mitigation safeguards and responses at the systems, network, and application level (VPN, Firewalls, Intrusion Detection, system hardening, single sign-on, encryption technologies). As well as demonstrated experience troubleshooting security solutions including authentication, authorization, encryption, and audit capabilities as part of an overall system design. Excellent communication, presentation, documentation and interpersonal skills are a requirement for this position.
The successful incumbent must have one or more of the following professional designations or equivalent experience and the willingness to obtain certifications within the first year: SANS GIAC, CISSP, CISM, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SA, technical certifications with major vendors i.e. Cisco, HP, Symantec, RSA, Juniper, CA, Oracle, VMware. An understanding of PCI, NIST, ITIL, or other compliance frameworks are considered assets.
The successful incumbent must be open to Secret Security Clearance issued by the Government of Canada.
Wednesday, August 19, 2015 before 5:00 pm PDT.
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.