Company: Shaw Cablesystems
Category: Accounting & Finance
Work Location: CALGARY, Alberta, Canada
Employment Type: Full-time
Position ID: J0918-1099
Every day, our passionate employees connect our customers to the world and everything in it – it’s why we exist at Shaw, and it’s why we strive to be the place where the best people choose to work. Our people reflect the richness of our communities, and our culture is inclusive of each individual’s diverse background and perspective, which makes us a stronger team.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Intermediate Data Analyst
Shaw Communications Inc., the leading Entertainment and Communications Company, has an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate Data Analyst in our Calgary office, reporting to the Manager, Business Intelligence – Delivery. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and developing automated data and reporting solutions that process, summarize and bring order to raw data, transforming it into actionable information on which our business partners can make decisions.
• Design and deliver automated report solutions that summarize and transform data from various data sources into understandable, actionable information.
• Develop and improve data mart structures and BI report development/delivery processes to improve efficiency, usability, consistency, reliability and relevance of reports.
• Collect and converge requirements from end users; translate requirements into technical solutions.
• Collaborate with business partners to identify opportunities to apply BI insights to various areas of the organization.
• Support and troubleshoot technical problems within the BI Environment.
• Understand and remain current on Shaw product offerings, promotions, and associated order entry / order management procedures.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• 7+ years creating automated reports, using advanced techniques with various systems and tools, and with emphasis on efficient, high quality code and identification/mitigation of data integrity problems.
• 7+ years and a solid understanding of SQL, and other DB constructs including stored procedures, functions, views and execution plans. Advanced knowledge of code optimization, including development/coding best practices.
• 5+ years, a solid understanding, and demonstrated ability to apply Data Warehouse and Data Modeling methodologies into practice. With a focus on the ability to understand the underlying data sources and translating that knowledge into mapping documents and requirements for ETL developers.
• Experience acting as a mentor to peers, providing guidance on technical solutions, critical thinking, and storytelling via data – relating the data (‘What’ and ‘When’) to the ‘Why’ and ‘How’ parts of our business.
• Hands on experience developing reports and architecture layer objects in MicroStrategy.
• Demonstrated business acumen. Ability to obtain essential information about a situation, focus on the key objectives, recognize the relevant options available, select an appropriate course of action and set in motion a plan to “get the job done”.
• Have a track record of delivering outputs that set the bar for quality, delivering complete solutions which are thoughtful, forward thinking (considering future impacts) and follows all internal processes perfectly.
• Ability to communicate with technical teams as well as business users.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong, cooperative intradepartmental and interdepartmental relationships.
• Consistently able to work under pressure, multi-task and meet challenging deadlines, all while focusing on quality.
• Team player with strong, proactive, communication skills.
• A positive “can do” attitude that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
• The working hours are standard business hours, with flexibility
• This position includes participating in on-call rotation for weekend coverage. Compensation is provided for on-call and callout time.
• Work is scheduled for periodic events such as finance month-end that may occur on weekends or holidays.
• Evening and weekend work may be required to meet deadlines or respond to incidents.
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Business Unit: Corporate
Shaw Communications, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.