Find opportunity and adventure in Canada’s North.
At Northwestel, we're driven by a common vision of a highly connected North where every Northern Canadian can prosper and thrive. We're getting there by delivering the most innovative communications solutions for the North.
Join the Northwestel team and enjoy a unique balance of rewarding work and the extraordinary lifestyle that awaits you and your family in the North!
We know there’s more to your decision about where you work than just the work itself. Along with a professional and fulfilling work environment, you’ll enjoy competitive pay, team incentive plan, comprehensive benefit program and a commitment to ongoing professional development.
Discover the North by Northwestel, meet our people, and hear their stories on our website or on Instagram(northbynwtel).
Applications are now being accepted for a full-time position of Implementation Manager, Transport located in Whitehorse, YT.
The Implementation Manager Transport will design, develop, implement, support, and evaluate microwave radio and fiber optic transmission systems. The Implementation Manager Transport will be an integral member of, and may lead, cross functional teams tasked with deployments of radio and optical fiber equipment to various locations in Northwestel’s operating area. Cross functional interaction with Operations, lead customers, Sales/Marketing and Finance personnel will also be expected. As well, the Implementation Manager will design, build and support the various telecommunications infrastructure components used to connect, manage and maintain modern communication networks.
Implementation (75% of role)
- Through review of business plan objectives for specific technologies, the incumbent designs and develops detailed plans according to company standards for capital projects including unit testing & exception handling, developing installation specifications and detailed cost estimates including support packages consisting of support procedures, training, spares and vendor support.
- Once detailed plans have been developed, create implementation schedules, procure materials, equipment, engineering hardware and software, develop work schedules and priorities (for internal staff and/or contractors).
- Through project management discipline, ensure work is being done to specifications and meeting timelines set out, monitoring of capital budget expenditures; performs systems testing and acceptance of project. Evaluates skills and engages either internal personnel (or) contactors to perform work functions. Conduct work site inspections and maintains build quality through audits.
- The incumbent is responsible for developing proposed network designs for review and consideration; creating detailed circuit orders based on network designs and documenting any “as-built” network construction.
- While adhering to ITIL change management guidelines the Implementation Manager is responsible for submitting Requests For Change (RFCs) including Methods of Procedures and Roll Back plans for Network Changes associated with project work; as well as participating in Change Advisory Board meetings as a Subject Matter Expert.
- Use SAP software for creating detailed project plan, milestone tracking, project budget management, material procurement, internal and external time charging etc.
- Provides engineering / technical support to various projects and areas of the organization.
Capacity and Availability Management (20% of role)
- Responsible for managing capacity and availability of assets to ensure planners have information to develop technology business plans.
- The incumbent is responsible for tracking and generating asset information required for planning purposes including predicting replacement, enhancement of assets based on age, return on investment, performance and capacity while developing best practices.
- Provide support through Incident Management including assisting in resolution of any escalated incidents and resolution of reoccurring incidents or problems with the current network.
Business Planning (5% of role)
- Provide input and solutions to Strategic planners, steering teams, the portfolio management team, and the overall ITM business plan. The Implementation Manager is a key contributor to the strategic planning process.
- Develop Implementable plans including descriptions of the underlying business need and solution, as well as a High Level estimated project plan including resourcing, cost, timeline, and business value.
- Assess technological business needs on a case by case basis, utilize that assessment to develop business cases for technological solutions.
- Maintain technology menu through approving devices for specific applications including IOS versions and levels; maintain, support and enforce technology approval process.
- Bachelors of Engineering Degree with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience OR Diploma Certificate with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- The relevant experience should include experience in implementing, configuring or maintaining radio and optical transport networks.
- Advance knowledge of Ethernet, SONET,and TDM multiplexing and switching platforms, medium to heavy route microwave radio systems and RF engineering.
- Expertise in measuring, evaluating, and troubleshooting microwave radio links.
- Experience with high-speed optical communication networks and processes for interfacing devices to optical fiber.
- Expertise in measuring, evaluating, and troubleshooting optical channel links.
- Familiarity with network transport products from Fujitsu, Ciena, Nokia/Alcatel Lucent and Advantech Wireless would be considered as an advantage.
- Basic knowledge of Project Management (PMP), facility records systems, MPLS/VPNs, VPLS, Cisco and Juniper platforms.
- CCNA &/or JNCIA, MEF, and PMP certifications are considered an asset.
- Experience working with SAP or a similar Enterprise Resource Planning system would be considered an asset.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
What we offer you:
- Health Benefits
- Team Incentive Bonus
- Paid Vacation with a Vacation Travel Allowance
- Work-Life Balance
- Community Involvement
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.