Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) - - -
Status of Employment Contract
Work schedule(s) Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Please note that this position is located in Toronto.
CBC Radio is looking for a dynamic new Host/Producer for Ideas, Canada’s celebrated program exploring contemporary thought. You are insatiably curious and passionate about engaging in the world of ideas in original, thoughtful and creative ways, which will resonate with all kinds of communities. You will play a key role in helping us connect with, and grow new audiences.
You are a natural storyteller who will regularly pitch, conceive of and produce hour-long programs, both independently and collaboratively.
You are enthusiastic about experimenting with documentary and talk formats, and all digital forms of storytelling. You fully embrace social and digital media. You are a well-read, strong writer with an eclectic range of interests, from social issues, culture and the arts, to geopolitics, history, science and everything in between. Genuinely conversant in these worlds, you draw on multiple sources of knowledge and cultural perspectives to illuminate novel ideas and insights. As an interviewer, you are a skilled listener who seeks clarity and understanding.
You bring something special to the table - an appetite for discovery, making connections between the past and present, and a joy of learning and sharing ideas. You have a proven ability to translate complex ideas to a broad audience. You bring a different life experience, perspective or expertise to the team that will enrich Ideas’ content. An important part of this role is representing the program in public forums and events across the country. You enjoy building relationships and engaging with people from all walks of life. You are genuinely immersed in the diversity of experiences that make up Canada.
Audible curiosity on-air, intellectual enthusiasm, openness to diverse perspectives and ideas, and a sense of humour are characteristics you embody. You also live and promote the values of an inclusive and respectful work culture.
As Canada’s national public broadcaster, diversity shapes the content we deliver every day. CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting Canada’s diversity in its workforce, as well as across all of its platforms.
- Perform a variety of tasks associated with the preparation and on-air presentation of program material on radio and digital
- Conceive of and produce your own hour-long radio programs and documentaries on a frequent basis.
- Conduct interviews, write and voice scripts as well as those produced by other team members as required.
- Moderate and participate in public events, representing Ideas and CBC Radio.
- University degree or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism reporting and/or hosting, or in a relevant field.
- Engaging, warm, curious, spontaneous and intellectually enthusiastic on-air and online personality.
- Wide range of genuine interests reflecting your curiosity in subjects like the arts, culture, history, philosophy and current affairs, and an ability to make them relevant to existing and new audiences.
- Widely-read, knowledgeable and nuanced thinker.
- Strong journalistic skills, including critical thinking, writing, storytelling and interviewing.
- Documentary experience is an asset. Aptitude for documentary production is a must.
- Technical skills, including field recording and audio editing are an asset.
- Knowledge of and creative ideas around the use of social media and digital platforms to connect with and grow audiences.
- Highly-developed ability to write compelling stories in your own voice.
- Genuinely engaged, interested and immersed in a wide range of diverse experiences that make up Canada.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of, and/or connection to underrepresented communities across Canada is key.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Openness to diverse perspectives and ideas, and differing points of view is critical.
- Ability to function independently and cooperatively in a small team setting.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure.
- Ability to build relationships and contacts inside and outside the CBC.
- Genuinely loves public outreach and embraces the public-facing role of host in the community.
- Enthusiastic ambassador of public broadcasting and the program.
- Broad knowledge of the country and the world with past experience living and travelling in different parts of Canada and abroad is considered an asset.
- Must be able to travel to public forums and events across Canada as required.
Please provide a cover letter and samples of on-air work.
Candidates may be subject to an audition in English and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.