A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
Every day we enable our people to do their best work. As part of Enterprise Technology, you will join us in delivering best in class process and technology that connects the enterprise and enables our workforce to serve our customers.
We’re currently seeking a Application Specialist to join the Enterprise Technology team. This position reports into the Team Lead, HCM and is a part of our Modern Workplace Technology team.
The Application Specialist is accountable for ensuring that all applications and processes related to the HCM ecosystem meet the quality standards established by Enterprise Technologies, including supporting the stability, reliability, scalability, and operational efficiency of the ecosystem.
As part of the role, you will collaborate cross functionally with people across multiple business units and functional departments to define, deploy and support technology solutions to address key business objectives. You will also push us to think differently, try new things and be bold. The future is full of opportunity, and this team is thrilled to be part of a company that is embracing that.
A typical day
• Collaborating and building strong relationships with HCM’s partners and stakeholders to create and maintain reliable, efficient, and high-quality application solutions through support, QA, and testing efforts
• Proactively identifying, cataloging, prioritizing, and communicating application issues
• Partnering with business stakeholders, internal IT teams, and external vendors to provide accurate and timely resolution of application incidents and issues while ensuring operational stability
• Developing, designing, maintaining HCM technology documentation, including application systems, database environments, and infrastructure environments (including but not limited to processes, requirements, and defects)
• Participating, as required, in infrastructure projects that may affect business applications systems to assess impact and support to ensure operational stability
• Analyzing test cases / scenarios and test results to ensure completeness & effectiveness
• Working closely with project and delivery teammates to ensure all HCM system requirements are tested, documented, tracked, and deployed to all our environments seamlessly and in alignment with our change management processes (including afterhours deployment for Production as needed)
• Sharing knowledge and supporting the team’s goals and vision to consistently deliver exceptional experiences and continuously improve
• Keeping current with trends and best practices related to quality assurance & support practices, methodologies & tools
Who/what we’re looking for
• A team player with a can-do, customer-focused attitude and a flexible schedule
• An excellent problem-solver with the ability to resolve complex issues and determine the root cause
• Someone with a technical background who is obsessed with continuous improvement
• An active innovator who can find new and adaptive ways of operating
• A quick learner with a demonstrated ability to deliver under pressure while maintaining high standards of excellence and attention to detail
• Someone who is comfortable with working in an open, highly collaborative, fast paced, ever-changing team environment
• A self-starter who can work with general direction and exercise independent judgment
• An effective communicator, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage challenging situations with integrity, empathy, and sincerity
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology (IT), software engineering or an equivalent combination of appropriate education and experience
• A minimum of 5+ years’ experience supporting and troubleshooting SOA based enterprise integrations
• Strong Technical understanding of computer technologies, operating systems, and software, including SQL and Stored procedures
• Working knowledge of Oracle Data Integrator (ODI), Oracle 11g, Oracle Integration Cloud Services
• Experience with variety of industry hardware platforms and operating systems (Linux/Unix, Windows, Shell Script, etc.,)
• Broad knowledge of computer systems technology, programming, and design techniques
• Strong understanding of and experience with IT operational process frameworks, including ITIL and SDLC processes
• Demonstrated expert abilities in risk and issue management (includes identification, mitigation, and resolution)
• Experience with software testing best practices and standards, including test documentation, test execution, and defect management knowledge and experience in iterative and incremental project management and delivery methods (Agile, SCRUM, DevOps) will be an asset
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal (and credit) background check.
Posting closing date:September 25, 2020
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.