Division: Global News
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Barber Greene – Global Toronto
About the Role:
Reporting to the Managing Editor – Online Video, you will be responsible for:
- Working in a fast-paced breaking news environment at one of Canada’s fastest-growing digital news outlets.
- Coordinate, manage, and edit live event streams across multiple platforms for a variety of audiences.
- Work with Global News Resources desk to manage incoming feeds, schedule and set-up live streams.
- Assist local stations in breaking news situations with video content.
- Manage daily curation of video content on Global News sites: edit and incorporate news-related content through internal content management systems (ThePlatform, WordPress) on a daily basis.
- Assist online producers with the management of all video content including sourcing, screening, QA, adding metadata and uploading.
- Organize and assist with gathering of video content from across the Global News Network to share both internally, as well as facilitating syndication requests.
- Create compelling original video for all Global News platforms including O&O websites, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
- Write compelling original story posts for embedding video and audio.
- Back up existing video producers when necessary, in the event of illness, vacation or significant breaking news.
- Train and evangelize online video content to internal stakeholders.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
What We Need From You:
- A passion for news and journalism, including a keen interest in current events, Canadian and International news, politics, pop culture, and more.
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and make editorial decisions
- Excellent organizational, communication and creativity skills including the ability to brainstorm and create content that works on the multiple platforms.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
- Experience in the online environment, especially video editing and writing for the web.
- Familiarity with non-linear video editing tools: Adobe Premiere, Edius, Final Cut.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop) an asset.
- Familiarity with online video platforms like Wochit or Wibbitz an asset.
- The ability to write concise, complete news stories for a variety of platforms and audiences.
- Experience using live streaming hardware (Elemental, Spinnaker, Tricaster) and applications – Facebook Live, YouTube, Snappy TV – an asset.
- Previous experience creating video content for multiple video platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Must be able to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape.
- Experience in using a content management system (CMS) to publish, update, and curate digital video content.
- A familiarity with digital production equipment an asset including digital video cameras, DSLRs, Tricaster, Dejero
- A familiarity with Global News, both online and on-air, at either a local or national/international level.
- Familiarity with latest advancements in online video and video trends an asset.
- Working knowledge of video workflow from booking feeds and ingest to online distribution.
- Working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats.
- Journalism degree is an asset; news writing experience is a must
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Creative mind with the ability to think outside the box and problem solve.
- A team player that can work both independently and within a collaborative environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a high-pressure situation
- Self-motivated individual that can be counted on to make decisions independently, or execute as part of a larger plan.
- Effectively manage time and work under pressure
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to careers @corusent.com by April 30, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.