Northwestel is built on ideas - and connections are made from ideas. Northwestel is bringing us together.
For more than 60 years, Northwestel has served the largest operating area in the Western hemisphere and played a large hand in transforming communications in Northern Canada.
As a communications & entertainment leader, Northwestel delivers a broad range of telecommunications solutions & television services to a population of 120,000 northern Canadians in 96 communities scattered throughout the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, northern British Columbia and Alberta. The majority of our nearly 600 employees live and work in communities all across the North.
We are currently accepting resumes for the full-time General Manager, Nunavut position located in Iqaluit, NU.
The General Manager, Nunavut, reporting to the Vice President, Business Markets is responsible for developing and implementing programs and strategies that will drive sales of Northwestel's products and services and enhance Northwestel's image and relationships in Nunavut. In collaboration with Northwestel’s Director, Government Relations, the General Manager, Nunavut is responsible for working with the Government of Nunavut, as well as, the business community, political and cultural organizations and the public at large in advocating and enlisting support for Northwestel's positions on matters critical to Northwestel's business. The incumbent is also responsible for general operational management in Nunavut to ensure the network is operating at established performance and service levels.
This position has the following direct reports:
- Manager, Field Operations Network;
- Community Service Technicians
- Account Executive
- Identify, develop and implement sales and service programs that increase business opportunities, increase revenue and enhance customer service in Nunavut through various partnerships and alliances.
- Ensure network operations are fully operational within pre-determined performance and service levels.
- Monitor the business environment and proactively identify and address potential issues to maintain and build strong relationships between Northwestel and customers initiating actions to address issues and concerns raised by business and communities where required including modifying, when appropriate, processes that have a negative impact on customers.
- Identify specific issues that may arise with implications for the Company’s relationship with Government of Nunavut.
- Develop relationships with senior departmental officials and political staff with portfolios relevant to the Company.
- Select, lead, manage, and develop all employees in Nunavut operations through recruitment, coaching, mentoring, and performance management.
- Deliver business results to meet strategic objectives for Nunavut that include customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, operational results, safety, revenue, and budget.
- Communicate Northwestel's vision/direction to governments, business communities and residential customers and provide stakeholder feedback to executive management ensuring a common understanding by the Company of the unique needs of customers in Nunavut.
- Enhance Northwestel's image and reputation by building business and social relationships through active participation in community organizations and major community and business events.
- Attend conferences to ensure emergent issues impacting the Company are communicated effectively and major business opportunities are capitalized upon.
- Actively participate in the Health & Safety program by working in compliance with OH&S Acts and Regulations, completing required training and reporting immediately to your Supervisor or Workplace H & S Committee member any work-related hazards and concerns.
- Bachelor of Commerce degree or similar post-secondary business degree;
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in either operations, marketing or sales in a medium to large business, preferably in the telecommunications industry;
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in a senior leadership role, preferably in the telecommunication industry;
- Exceptional skills in analytics, strategic planning and project delivery;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written, oral, listening and presentation); and
- Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity to the cultural nuances of the North would be considered an asset.
- Participation in organizational health and safety and/or knowledge of H&S regulations in Canada, will be considered an asset.
What we offer you:
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Team Incentive Plan & Discounts
- Generous vacation and a vacation travel allowance
- Work-life balance
- Community involvement
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.