Shaw Media is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels. At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions.
Global News has a rare opportunity opening up to help lead the Global National team and oversee the organization's flagship newscast from beautiful Vancouver, B.C. With its world-leading technology and reputation for innovation and compelling content, Global was recently selected Canada's Best National Newscast at the Canadian Screen Awards. Global National was honoured with the RTDNA Edward R Murrow Award for Overall excellence for Network Television in 2013. It was the first time a Canadian Network won the award since it was first presented in 1971, beating out competition that included CBS, NBC, ABC and CNN.
This position reports to the News Director, Global National. The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions:
• Assist in setting the daily editorial and production agenda for the flagship newscast with an emphasis on original, enterprising content.
• Assist in developing and maintaining long term strategy and plans for the show.
• Vet scripts and provide guidance for reporters and producers on story direction, storytelling techniques and monitoring of story development.
• Work closely with the News Director and Managing Editor to ensure proper editorial resources are assigned to meet the needs of the news program and online site.
• Oversee regular story meetings to encourage the free flow of original ideas among all news staff.
• Establish a system for regular coaching of news staff to help team members develop and grow.
• Manage staff and operational requirements pertaining to labour relations, scheduling and time sheets.
• Evolve the newscast and innovate on an ongoing basis to ensure impressive viewership growth figures are maintained.
• Liaise with the Marketing team to ensure strong promotion of daily news and feature reports.
• Represent Global News at community and industry functions.
• An extensive background in news with at least five years’ experience in a senior news management role.
• A post secondary degree in broadcast journalism or a related field.
• Must have an amazing can-do attitude with a leadership style that results in team members always giving their best and wanting to develop within the organization.
• Strong creative storytelling, organizational and leadership skills.
• Experience in a national newsroom is an asset.
• Extensive experience in field production and show producing.
• Extensive experience in a control room setting, making the final call on rundown decisions during a live broadcast.
• Strong skills in leading the control room in a live network wide-breaking news broadcast.
• The incumbent must adapt well under pressure and be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats.
• Working knowledge of new media tools and technologies, and related applications.
• Must be able to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines.
• Must be able to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape.
Compensation Package: This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary and benefits.
Reply in confidence: If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience, then start your career with Global by applying now. Please forward a covering email & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Executive Producer – Global National” in the subject header. We thank all candidates for their submissions. Only those under consideration will be contacted.
Inquiries are always welcome ~ mediaINTELLIGENCE.ca ~ 416.533.6788