Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Executive Producer, Global National, Vancouver
Global News has a rare opportunity opening up to help lead the Global National team and oversee the organization's flagship newscast from beautiful Vancouver, B.C. Global National, with its world-leading technology and reputation for innovation and compelling content, was recently selected Canada's Best National Newscast at the Canadian Screen Awards. This position reports to the News Director, Global National, who has paraphrased the primary functions for this position below (please note: this does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned):
• Set the daily editorial agenda for the Global National newscast(s) and the Global National website, with an emphasis on the creation of original, enterprising content.
• Work closely with the News Director and Managing Editor to ensure proper editorial resources are assigned to meet the needs of the news program and online site.
• Provide guidance for reporters and producers on story direction, storytelling techniques and monitoring of story development throughout the day.
• Vet reporter scripts and web stories on a daily basis to ensure they conform to Global News' Journalistic Principles and Practices as well as style guidelines.
• Oversee regular story meetings to encourage the free flow of original ideas among all news staff.
• Establish a system for regular coaching and critiquing of the work of all news staff to help team members develop and grow.
• Manage staff and operational requirements pertaining to labour relations, scheduling and time sheets.
• Evolve the newscast and innovate on an ongoing basis to ensure impressive viewership growth figures are maintained.
• Liaise with the Marketing team to ensure strong promotion of daily news and feature reports.
• Represent Global News at community and industry functions.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• An extensive background in news with at least five years experience in a senior news management role.
• Must have an amazing can-do attitude with a leadership style that results in team members always giving their best and wanting to develop within the organization.
• Strong creative storytelling, organizational and leadership skills.
• The incumbent must adapt well under pressure and be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats.
• Working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc), and related applications.
• Must be able to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines
• Must be able to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape.
• A post secondary degree in broadcast journalism or a related field.
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
Application Deadline: Friday, July 17, 2015
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Shaw Media, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Media. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.