Europe Bureau Chief Global National
Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Europe Bureau Chief, London, UK
Global National has an immediate full-time opening for an exciting and demanding position as the Bureau Chief of our news division based in London, UK. The successful applicant will be accountable for managing related costs of the bureau, along with providing editorial leadership to ensure Global is at the forefront of major and breaking international stories. The successful canddiate must be flexible and comfortable with extended hours, late nights and occasional weekend work depending on stories taking place.
Reporting to the News Director of Global National, the following is an outline of some but not all of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
• Develop and report original stories of interest to Canadians from Europe and across the globe.
• Report “Live” for all Global News platforms from crisis locations and on breaking news;
• Produce content, cost-effectively, across various social media and Global News platforms;
• Direct, manage, advise, administer and execute day to day business of the London Bureau
• Oversee the bureau's growth, advancement and improvement
• Contribute to the budget planning process for international news
• Accountable for ensuring confidentiality and fiscal responsibility
• Familiarity and ease in using Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media;
• Perform other duties as required
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Minimum 15 years reporting experience, including senior assignments at a network level.
• Previous experience as a foreign correspondent is an asset.
• Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively and cooperatively in a team environment;
• An ability to work well in high-stress situations, to resolve logistical and technical issues in the field;
• The ability to travel extensively, and on extremely short notice;
• Strong writings skills, to interpret and analyze as well as report the news;
• Strong on camera, story telling and presentation skills;
• Strong understanding of Canada-international relations, politics and culture;
• Knowledge of online/media tools and technologies; adaptability in digital age news production, including camera work and editing.
• Previous international or conflict-zone experience an asset as well as completion of a hostile environment course.
• A university degree or college diploma in a journalism-related discipline;
• A desire to grow as a person and a journalist in an organization committed to making news accessible, understandable and interesting for our audience.
This is a chance to report on the front lines of history being made. If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
Interested applicants can apply to through the following link :
Shaw Media, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Media. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.