Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Engineering Technician
A career opportunity exists at Global Maritimes. We are open to discussing the location of the position, although Truro (NS), Saint John (NB), Moncton (NB), or Halifax (NS) are preferred locations.
There is an immediate opening for an Engineering Technician. This position reports directly to the Team Lead, DTV Transition. The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
• Accountable for the ongoing maintenance of the Global Maritime television transmitter network currently comprised of 17 DTV transmitter sites and associated distribution equipment in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI
• Accountable for emergency repairs for all the Maritime transmitter and related facility infrastructure
• Accountable to ensure that all transmission equipment, buildings, site locations and broadcast towers maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements
• Accountable to maintain site log books, records and inventory
• Will work with the Team Lead to ensure operating budget targets and capital spending targets are met
• Will assist station technical staff, as required, in resolving operational and technical issues in Saint John news bureau
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• A degree/diploma in Broadcast Systems/Engineering technology, engineering or telecommunication technology complemented by one to three years related experience, or equivalent total experience
• Good understanding of RF transmission principles and systems
• Good understanding of RF test and measurement procedures; familiarity with using RF power meters, spectrum analyzers, and RF sweep equipment
• Familiarity with television broadcast analog and digital video & audio formats / standards / systems, specifically 8VSB
• Understanding of relevant network technologies, topologies, and protocols
• Must be willing and able to safely travel to remote locations on short notice and in all seasonal conditions
• Must have and maintain a valid drivers’ license
• Must have excellent technical trouble-shooting skills
• Experience with either ACAD or MS Visio desirable
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Must be willing to work various shifts and work overtime if/as required
• Required to efficiently prioritize work load, balancing deadlines and urgencies
• Must be able and willing to work with minimum supervision
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
All interested applicants are invited to apply at online at www.shaw.ca/careers J1015-0167
or through the following link : https://shaw.njoyn.com/CGI/xweb/xweb.asp?clid=21753&page=jobdetails&jobid=J1015-0167&BRID=EX420778&SBDID=1&LANG=1
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
Shaw Media, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Media. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.