The MPA-Canada is seeking an outstanding Director of Public Affairs & Communications to support the development and execution of public affairs and communications strategies that advance the goals of the organization. Reporting to the President, this position works collaboratively as part of a small team of employees in Toronto. The Director of Public Affairs & Communications works in association with the global communications group of the Motion Picture Association of America and its international affiliates.
Desired Skills and Experience: Who Are We Looking For?
The ideal candidate for the position of Director of Public Affairs & Communications will have:
- a university degree in communications, political science or related field, and a background in communications;
- a minimum of four years of experience that includes work in an advocacy organization and/or government affairs, public policy development, and developing and executing communications strategies;
- exceptional writing abilities, persuasive and compelling communications skills;
- a demonstrated understanding of and experience with traditional and new media, and issues management;
- comfort working as part of a small, dynamic team, and operating as a self-starter who is willing to take on tasks large and small;
- superior judgment, and interpersonal skills;
- the ability to assess, prioritize and handle sensitive and complex issues with diplomacy, tact and skill;
- enthusiasm for and an understanding of technology and the creative community;
- proficiency in relevant computer applications;
- experience with WordPress an asset.
The candidate must possess the highest level of work ethic and integrity with the ability to maintain confidential information. The ability to communicate effectively in French is an asset, though not a requirement.
Key Responsibilities: What Will They Do?
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing communications plans, providing strategic advice and counsel on communications and public affairs;
- Ensuring integrated messaging and support for all policy and advocacy initiatives, internally and externally, and in all online platforms (website, twitter, etc);
- Writing communication products for internal and external use, including briefing notes, backgrounders, FAQs, blog posts, talking points, and press statements;
- Working with the President to develop programs, events, and outreach initiatives as part of a creative and collaborative approach to advocating and building alliances;
- Building and engaging relationships with media, proactive and reactive media strategies, and preparing executives for media interviews as needed;
- Serving as communications point with the global research team to help utilize research effectively in support of association objectives;
- Generating internal reports on association activities, events, initiatives, and matters of interest to members;
- Creating and fostering relationships with multiple stakeholders.
How To Apply:
In order to ensure your application is considered, please provide your cover letter and résumé in confidence, with salary expectations, and the title of your favourite movie to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Public Affairs & Communications” in the subject line. Email is preferred, but application materials may also be sent to us by mail at MPA-Canada at 55 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 210, Toronto, ON M4V 2Y7. Please include all of the requested information to ensure your application will be considered.
When to do it:
By Monday October 22nd, 2018
We thank all who express an interest in this position; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The Motion Picture Association – Canada invites applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.