Work Status: Full-Time Management
Location: Ottawa, ON
Corus Entertainment is currently seeking an experienced lawyer to join its team as Director, Legal Affairs (Government Relations and Compliance). Reporting to the Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Government Relations and Compliance, the Director, Legal Affairs will have a front line role as an advisor on law and regulatory matters and will also play a vital role in the performance of government relations strategies by advocating Corus’ policy perspective and position to federal agencies and industry partners to achieve the goals of a dynamic and growing business. This is an exciting opportunity in a fast paced environment to cultivate Corus as a leader in the broadcasting industry. This position will be located in Ottawa.
About the Role
- Act as the “hands-on” key law and regulation advisor on matters relating to broadcast and content regulation, tariffs and copyright
- Develop and maintain key contacts within the federal government and influencers of government policy and act as Corus’ government relations advocate
- Active monitoring of policy development to proactively communicate Corus’ position; deliver practical, creative and timely regulatory and Government Relations and compliance advice with a view to supporting and furthering Corus’ business objectives
- Assist with cross industry collaboration on major policy issues
- Assist with CRTC policy proceedings including coordinating strategies and positioning for Corus
What We Need From You:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in law practice in a regulatory, government relations, intellectual property, production, entertainment, telecommunications, litigation or broadcasting environment
- French language skills (written and oral) essential
- Ability to research CRTC, copyright and other federal or provincially regulated industry including applicable legislation and policy
- Demonstrated understanding of federal government operations an asset
- Familiarity with digital media rights acquisition and exploitation an asset
- Experience with broadcast distribution undertaking agreements an asset
- Critical and strategic thinking; ability to provide spontaneous answers on complex issues
- Ability to manage multiple mandates and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, leadership and problem-solving skills
- Lawyer in good standing with the LSUC
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter by August 5, 2016 to:
*Please include ‘Director, Legal Affairs Ottawa’ in the subject line of your email.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.