Division: Global News
Work Status: Temporary Full-time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
About the Role
The Corus Entertainment/Global News team is seeking a temporary full-time Digital Journalist (Group DJ) based at Global Calgary, reporting to the News Director and working closely with the Digital Manager and Executive Producer. The successful candidate will be a flexible multi-tasker with a positive, can-do attitude. She or he will be required to work a variety of shifts including mornings, evenings and weekends. This is an exciting new role which takes advantage of a multifunction approach to journalism with a focus on expanding local weather coverage on our award-winning news platforms.
Primary functions and responsibilities:
- Develop enterprising and contextual weather-focused content for broadcast, online, and social platforms using self-generated graphics and other visual elements
- Use sound journalistic practices and advanced research skills to identify and deliver developing stories to multiple platforms
- Engage online audiences with original and enterprising social Global News content including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, and other relevant platforms
- Work closely with Global News anchors to create personality-driven sharable videos for online and social platforms
- Create, oversee, and coordinate social media and digital content generated by the editorial team
- Appear live on-air to share socially-driven weather-focused content on broadcast
- Perform news radio voicers and live debriefs on talk radio as required
- Participate in assignment, line-up and planning meetings
- Be a strong advocate, model and mentor for digital journalism and a digital-first workflow in the local newsroom
- Participate in Global Calgary promotional and community initiatives and live into the Corus values to Win Together, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day, Think Beyond and Show We Care
- Backfill on-air weather and traffic anchor roles
- Perform other duties as required
What we need from you:
- At least three years’ experience in online and/or broadcast or print journalism
- Degree/diploma in journalism from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Proven experience in making independent editorially sound decisions
- Familiarity with Canadian Press Style and publishing in WordPress
- Comfort with performing live and unscripted material on-air
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions under pressure
- Strong knowledge of local and regional news and weather events
- At least two years’ experience as an on-air meteorologist
- Meteorology degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Ability to plan, produce and present live, dynamic, informative weather forecasts
- Report live on-location when required
- Research and develop original, creative story ideas related to weather
- Routinely write, post and promote weather content for globalnews.ca
- Advanced experience using computerized weather graphics systems
- Proven experience creating compelling content on social media platforms
- Skilled writer with excellent research skills
- Ability to quickly identify industry trends and adapt to rapidly changing technology
- Ability to identify and create platform-specific best practices for content
- Comfort in navigating user-generated weather content ie. Storm chasers to verify for accuracy and multiplatform usage
- Expert abilities in smartphone usage and video editing experience
- Understanding of broadcast quality editing, lighting, audio, and video techniques
- Enthusiastic early adopter of new technologies and systems
This position requires someone who is comfortable working both independently and cooperatively in a dynamic team environment, with excellent problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will possess the skills, determination, and patience to work collaboratively with a variety of local and network departments including news, online and sales.
Preference will be given to candidates who show a strong knowledge and demonstrated practice in the tenets of digital journalism.
A valid driver’s licence and clean abstract is required for this position.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their resume and letter of interest by applying to email@example.com by November 14, 2018.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.