We are looking for top talent to fill our new bilingual roles in our Oakville, ON office. We are very excited about the arrival of enthusiastic Francophones, who will spice up the ambiance and the culture at Pelmorex!
What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Life at Pelmorex: Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Pelmorex Pride: We are proud to be the undisputed leader of weather and travel information through websites, applications, specialty television networks and commercial weather services. We reach, on average, 40 million users each month. The Weather Network / MétéoMédia are the #1 Weather App in Canada with 4.2M unique average users. We also have the #1 iPad Weather App in Canada and a 2M average monthly reach on Desktop & Tablets (generating 113M average monthly page views). Our number one focus is our employees and we have won numerous awards for outstanding achievement in employee satisfaction, including being named one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canadian HR Team of the Year Award 2015.
We’re all about the WOW: We need people with ideas; people who challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We need enthusiastic people and collaborators. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you? To find out, you’ll need to apply!
Perks: Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
Control Room Director & Technical Director
Job Type: 2 Full Time & 2 Part Time
Location: Oakville, ON
Bilingual is Essential: French & English
We absolutely require bilingual Talent (French/English) to ensure that we deliver the best final product to our viewers. Employees working for the MétéoMédia operations will communicate in French between the Montreal and Oakville offices.
As a Control Room Director &Technical Director, you will be responsible the production of live and recorded audio and video content which will be played on the different mediums (TV, Web, wireless and radio).
You will be working closely with the Content Producer to stay informed of weather conditions; follow Programming objectives and guidelines (knowing who our audience is, etc.); and, coordinate the production of the weather and news content accordingly. This includes ensuring that the team (as described below) updates content when necessary and in a timely manner, and maintains the credibility, accuracy and professionalism on all produced and live segments.
Your overall goal is to produce content for TV, Web, Apps and other mediums, while increasing our ratings. In this role, you will operate the equipment in the control rooms. This position combines the traditional responsibilities of a control room Director and Technical Director, as well as equipment operator.
The Job: A day in the life of a Control Room & Technical Director:
- Plan, oversee and take responsibility for all aspects of the audio and video content, ensuring high standards are met and exceeded.
- Lead and coordinate a team of on-air Presenters and work very closely with the Content Producer.
- Coach and direct on-air Presenters during the live and near live elements.
- Operate control room equipment necessary to produce live and record segments.
- Solid understanding of all control room equipment including Switchers, Audio Boards, Cameras, Graphics and CG.
- Working in conjunction with the Content Producer to conduct regular air checks.
- Knowledge of Ross Overdrive system and Baron.
- Extra work during active weather may be required.
- Participate in show meetings.
- Able to work shifts (24/7 environment)
- Part Time positions: Must be available to work weekends and statutory holidays
Roles, responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time.
- College certificate or university degree in Communications/Journalism/Television production
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working as a television Producer or Director or Technical Director (television news preferred)
- Experience as a control room director
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Good knowledge of North American geography, meteorology and current affairs
- Bilingual (French/English)
What makes you shine?
- Team leader
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Organized and meticulous about details
- Technical abilities are required (equipment operation)
- Interest in weather
Send your resume to HireMe@pelmorex.com. Please quote “Control Room Director & Technical Director – Full Time” or “Control Room Director & Technical Director – Part Time” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of third party pre-employment background checks.
Pelmorex Media Inc. is committed to equity in the workplace.