Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country's most popular specialty channels.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Contracts Administrator
The Shaw Media Legal Team provides legal advice and services on commercial matters arising out of Shaw Media's businesses. As part of the Shaw Media Legal Team, the successful candidate will work in our program acquisitions practice group, and draft, negotiate and process content license agreements and related documentation for Shaw Media’s businesses. The successful candidate will work closely with other contract administrators, a contracts manager and department lawyers, and will have direct contact with our Program Acquisitions Team. The successful candidate will be given the opportunity, and be expected, to take on as much as you can demonstrate you can handle. This is a one-year contract covering a maternity leave.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
• carry your own file load and draft (from templates and 3rd party paper), review and/or negotiate deal memos, term-sheets, license confirmations and program license agreements in respect of acquired programming;
• assist in maintaining records database of contract information and in coordinating/processing the flow of appropriate information and documentation within the Company and externally with third-parties;
• liaise with the Company’s Program Acquisitions Team, as well as externally with distributors, studios and their advisors; and
• assist with other areas of the Legal Team’s work, as may be required.
Required Skills and Personal Attributes:
• excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills gained over at least two (2) years’ work experience, preferably involving content licensing, although we will consider strong candidates without media industry experience;
• commitment to getting work completed in a timely and proficient manner regardless of time constraints;
• strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to manage legal and contractual risk with an eye to business pragmatism;
• attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
• strong knowledge of, and experience with, Microsoft Word;
• ability to thrive in a fast-paced industry where innovation and change are ordinary course;
• team player with excellent communication skills both written and verbal; and
• a positive, can-do attitude and customer focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
All interested applicants are invited to apply at online at www.shaw.ca/careers J1015-1353, Contracts Administrator
Shaw Media, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Media. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.