CHEK Television is upgrading and expanding and we require a Full time Broadcast Engineer to come join the Technology team. The lucky candidate will be part of a team that provides all of the technology enhancements and support for our live news and linear broadcast services in Victoria, BC. If you are a self-motivated, tech-savvy individual who enjoys challenge, needs little supervision and is great communicator, we would love to have you join our team.
- Perform all aspects of hardware and software maintenance, repair and installation of audio/video, automation and transmission equipment.
- Support the technical operation of our linear broadcast, live newscasts and production equipment.
- Assist with the design and installation of Broadcast solutions.
- Work with Chief of Technology and other teams members throughout the project life cycle to establish and adapt projects plans and milestones.
- Own and deliver crucial elements of a project’s technical deployment.
- Routine reporting on project progress and issues.
- Demonstrate abilities to monitor quality of incoming and outbound signals.
- Ability to dissect and analyze broadcast video and audio.
- Report equipment problems and perform emergency workaround to keep TV service operational.
- Use analytical thinking to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues.
- Learn and update knowledge on internal broadcast systems, production equipment, fibre and transmitter distribution.
- Develop studio, control room, and transmitter projects in conjunction with the Engineering Team.
- Collaborate with IT on continuous improvement activities.
- Maintain stock for engineering parts and supplies.
- Liaise with other departments on technical matters.
- Assist with technical requirements for remote broadcasts.
- Provide 24/7 on-call support for all broadcast systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Engineering/Technology degree.
- 3+ years of experience in a broadcast/video engineering-related role
- 3+ years of experience in design, deployment and support of video systems, post-production processing, editing, transport, and storage
- Advanced knowledge of video distribution and production standards (H.264, HEVC, JPEG2000, MPEG, HDR, DVB ATSC.
- Experience with wide variety of video systems, applications and equipment vendors.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and analysis of end-to-end workflows.
- Organized, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Basic computer networking knowledge.
- Must be reliable, responsible, dependable and work well with other team members.
- Must provide support for all live events and be flexible with work schedule.
~Employees are held accountable for all duties of this role~
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the role.
Employees of CHEK are expected to participate in the employee share ownership program after one year of employment.
Peggy Heyer, Director of Finance/HR Manager
CHEK Media Group